Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Anyone get cramping pain in their hands from cervical?

ButterflyPainBButterflyPain Posts: 290
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:57 AM in Neck Pain: Cervical
Is that possible?

I've never really had cramping pain in my hands before, maybe some burning, falling asleep and ache mainly in the left hand.

I've been taking this jewelry and metals course at my college and it seems I've been having more stiff feeling between my shoulder blades, back of neck, arms... same with my lower back issues .. Now I get cramp pain in my hands when Im working with tweezers / fine detail work... Is this just part of the cervical disc problem? Is it worsening if I never had the cramping pain before?
I see the doc tomorrow and need to know how to put it to him, so he just doesn't be like "Oh yeah that's all it is" or whatever.

• MetalneckMetalneck Island of Misfit toysPosts: 1,364
    It has happened to me about 3 - 4 times in the past couple of weeks .... I thought it has to do with using my cane cause my back/leg have been getting weaker and I have been putting more preasure on my left hand - arm cause thats my cane side ..... full hand cramp ... curled up .... like a charlie horse .... no fun !!!

Spine-health Moderator
    Welcome to Spine-Health  Please read the linked guidelines!!

• It could be cervical, but it could also be a carpal tunnel issue, or simple muscle cramping, especially if you've been doing a lot of work with your hands. It's best to discuss with your doctor first before you make any assumptions. Good luck!
    APROUD CANADIANveteranButNOTa doctor, my thoughts are my own
  • I had it pretty bad before my fusion in both hands. Now I get it once in awhile and it is more of pai than anything. Plus I still have the days of dropping everything that I grab (some items get thrown accross the room lol)...

I like to massage scented oils with pepperment & lavender into my sore hands.

I am not totally convinced that my thoracic myelopathy isnt at work here, Some t-spines get a wrapped sensation around the chest and arms,,I belive I get it at times and when it happend my arms/hands everything hurts.
    Peace to my friends :)

• sunny1966ssunny1966 VIRGINIAPosts: 1,385
    I guess you could call it cramping. Before my acdf I would have pains in my hand at the base of my middle and ring finger that felt like a nail was being driven through it. It would wake me all through the night--terrible. It hasn't hurt like that since surgery.

Hope your doctor has some answers for you.

• I have the same symptoms in my hands stemming from my neck problems. Had spinal fusion C5-6, herniated disc C6-7, DDD, and nerve damage from it all.
    It's something new everyday. I always have my "old friend", the horrible pain in my shoulder blades, but some days it feels like my arm is pulled out of the socket, sometimes hand cramps, lightning bolts in my neck radiating to my arm, I just never know what it's gonna be. But it's never good.

I am just sick sick sick of all of it.

ACDF C5-C6 01/2002
    ACDF C6-C7 12/2011
    Prognosis: Permanent nerve damage in hands/arms, all treatment options exhausted-- lifetime CPP
  • My right hand cramps at least 4 times a day, and I don't even have to be doing much. I've had it cramp handing my hubby a piece of paper! Even after this last surgery which fused me C4 down to T2, still cramps. Mine is myelopathy now from the neck. Stuck with it I guess....

PCTF C4 - T2, Laminectomies C5, C6 & C7. Severe Palsy left arm/hand.
  • Hi all, The pain I have in my hands is all the way accrossed both hands and knuckles.. burning and like needles, sometimes swelling and very hard to grip things even to scratch my head!... Waiting on my apt. for new MRI and xrays to discuss plan of action for C3 - C7.. and maybe C8... New MRI will tell me... also elbow pain, some shoulder and headaches.
    God Bless all and hope everyone is doing better!