Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

FirstmoondewFFirstmoondew Posts: 3
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:57 AM in New Member Introductions
Hello Everyone :H
Very glad to be surrounded by others who "get it".
I can not find a place to post a question about ROM after a 4 lv (3 thru 7) Cervical posterior fusion. My question is: Do you get a high percentage of motion (up, down and side to side) back after surgery? Also, how long before it doesn't feel as though your head was stuck on a poker @) I am about 6 wks post op and have about 25% ROM. I know it is still early however would like to hear of others in the same situation.

Thank you

• hi and welcome to the forum! we are here to offer you support and answer what questions we can. i cannot answer your question for you but i know some other spineys will be along to help you! i see you have looked around and found out for yourself the posts of pain and support here on the forum. i am sure you need them during your recovery and especially if you feel it is not going well. remember, if your concerns continue, to contact your surgeon.. he may need to know of your problems. good luck on the rest of your recovery! be sure you are following all the doctor's orders. stop by anytime, there is always someone around! Jenny :)
  • jlrfryejjlrfrye ohioPosts: 1,110
    I have the same levels fused that you do and I can tell you my ROM is really good. I have lost maybe 20% looking from left to right, as for looking up and down I have no deficit looking down but I do looking up. I never realized the "looking up" until I went to watch the fireworks on the 4th.
  • Thank you both very much!! Always nice to talk with someone who has already gone thru it. Susan, did you feel as though your head was stuck on a poker? If so, how long before that sensation went away? I can look down however look out or under my glasses which is diving me crazy. Seems as though all the meds are making my eyes worse @) Have either of you had to deal with depression brought on as a result of back pain? I know I get grochy and sleep alot but atribute that to pain and meds taken for the pain. Have recently thought I need to look into depression meds but feel I am taking way to many meds now, what are your toughts?

Thanks again for your time and opinions >:D<
  • Kimberly, depression is an issue many of us here on the forum have to deal with. it seems to go hand in hand with chronic pain many times! you have a legitimate concern when it comes to how many medications you want to be taking..please have a glance at the "Matters of the Heart" forum for a place to share when you are down.. it may be that having a place to share and be around others feeling as you do may help you feel better. talking and sharing can work wonders!! pm me anytime you are down Kimberly or just can't sleep. i am a night owl myself!! Jenny :)
  • Although I only have C4-7 done my range of motion side to side is also about 20-25% off. However I'm only a couple months out from a revision with a level added, so I may get more back yet.

As far as the depression issues, Back surgery patients suffer from depression alot. My doctor says he would be suprised if I didn't have any depression issues. Talking it out has been my best help, and just reading posts on here has helped. Depression can be a horrible thing to deal with, I've been fighting a low point myself in the last few weeks. I see my doctor tomorrow and may see about medication adjustments. My pain levels have been increasing lately do to other problems.

The lack of sleep from pain can also be a huge cause for depression.

Hopefully some of this will help. Just comes from my experience, yours may be a lot different.