Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

ALIF in 5 days, Neuropathy problems, scared, stressed!,

SplendagrrlSSplendagrrl Posts: 108
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:57 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
I am having my A LIF surgery in 5 days and of course have been really stressed out and scared. This will be with two levels, decompression, spacers and pedi screws. Anyway have been doing all my pre-ops and registration this week. Well of course suddenly I have new problems! I have started having left side facial tingling and numbness, left arm and shoulder pain with tingling and numbness and left thigh shocks tingling and numbness. So of course I am freaking out thinking of stroke etc.. So went back to my doctor. Anyway I have neuropathy in both legs confirmed by EMG so of course my doctor thinks that is from the lower spine. Now my shoulder, and arm pain and numbness etc he thinks is from my neck (former cervical fusion there) , then we have this left sided facial numbness he says is from the brain. Anyway he says not to worry can still have surgery etc.. So now I guess after surgery I need to figure out why I am having neuropathy everywhere. For some reason I believe the cause is something bigger than just my spine issues especially now I am having the electric shocks up my hands. So all in all effected by the nerves are both legs, both hands, left side of my face, and left arm! Has anyone had these same neuropathic symptoms and gotten a diagnosis or something? I know you cannot diagnosis me but would like to hear who else is going through this and what you have. Maybe it will give me some ideas on what to read, or what kind of doctor to see etc...I am really starting to go why me????????? I am getting so stressed out and upset about everything I almost want to say forget it cancel!,,I can't do this!,,Had to get some xnax from the doctor today just to calm me down. I feel like this nerve issue is a BIG DEAL, seems like my regular doctor would want to run some tests or something!!!

• every time i think about having my ALIF {dec 29} my stomach turns over .after all its a big operation and very invasive with a long recovery time ,the only advice i can give is make sure that you are prepared for when you come home ..if you don't already have one ..NOW would be a good time to purchase a rise and recline electrical recliner ..they are a god send for people like us .and if you are having trouble sleeping post operation you could sleep in your recliner and it even stands you up .i have one and i would struggle to live without it ,there is a new device out called the V3 circulation booster .it essentially TENS for your legs and feet ..its fantastic and again i would get one if you can .memory foam pillows to put between your knees whilst you are sleeping is also a good idea .and of course the acticare TENS is MUST TOO .I WISH YOPU ALL THE LUCK IN THE WORLD AND TRY NOT TO WORRY TOO MUCH
    TONY {uk} X
    1997 laminectomy
    2007 repeat laminectomy and discectomy L4/L5
    2011 ALIF {L4/L5/S1}
    2012 ? bowel problems .still under investigation
    2014 bladder operation may 19th 2014
  • is on! Wanted to wish you all the best with your surgery. Do something special for yourself a day or two before, you deserve it.

Sorry to hear about all the issues you are having with neuropathy. Have you been to see a neurologist?When you are able I would want to see one, see about more testing to figure it all out.

You are going through alot right now, try to focus on recovery from your surgery and how hopefully it will help alot or all of the problems that you are having. We are here for you!

>:D< Karen
    >:D< >:-D< : Karen
    L3-S1 herniation and bulges, stenosis, mod facet,ddd,impinged nerves,coccydinia
    discectomy/lami July 2011-unsuccessful
    adr L5-S1 Feb 2012
  • >:D< >:D< I also get what you have. I also have severe anxiety. I had ALIF on the 28th, and I am still here :)
    I get numbness in my arms, and pain. I have fibromyalgia also. I wish you luck hon, it will work out ok. >:D<
  • Hey,
    Numbness and tingling like that is scary. Were you ever tested for MS or anything?

OMG. 5 days. So soon. Mine is in 1 week. Next Wed. Oct 19. I had all my pre-op workups today. I am stressing out.

For me the scariest part is the anesthesia. I'm scared of the pain and the recovery, of course, but I am terrified of just stopping breathing after they pull the tube out. I have an autonomic nervous system disorder and sometimes my blood pressure, heart rate, etc, aren't quite right. So going under is scary for me.

I did get to hear a good story from the pre-op nurse about how she had to explain self administering a
    fleet enema to a blind man.

How did your pre-op work ups go? Are you ready for the big day?
  • Splenda,

I know for me they did MRI brain scans to rule in/out MS or ALS (lesions), then the NCS/EMG all extremities and spine were done to determine where I was at nerve wise. My surgeon feels more of my leg stuff is from Myelopathy of the mid and lower cervical spine, and based on what happened with the hematoma after my 5 level, I think he is barking up the RIGHT tree, and some is from the L2/3/4 and L5/S1 issues, but more so from the neck.

They should be able to tell fairly fast with just the electrical studies. I hope you have answers soon so you can at least know where you are at. I know "not knowing" is the worst part of all of this! Gentle support *HUGZ* for ya woman.

PCTF C4 - T2, Laminectomies C5, C6 & C7. Severe Palsy left arm/hand.
  • Brenda,

Since my surgery is in three days I do not really have time to focus on anything. Once I start healing I am going to request the MS test and I am going to go to a neurologist that specializes in those nerves so I can get a diagnosis on what's going on. I need to know if these problems are from my back and neck for sure, and rule out the diseases like MS and stuff. Hugs back to you!, :)
  • Hi Splendagrrl, good luck with the spine surgery and recover quickly. for neuropathy pain I found Metanx a holistic medicine the Dr. has to prescribe that takes the neuropathy pain away and makes it feel normal again. Look Metanx up and see if your Dr. thinks it is right for you. Hope this helps and good luck, again.