Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Exalgo, Fentanyl

NCcrazysNNCcrazys Posts: 14
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:57 AM in Pain Medications
Hi all
I have not posted before many times, Put I have a few questions.I was on methadone for a long time 70mgs a day, I got tired of always being tired.So my Dr switched me to Exalgo 12mgs a day and 8 mgs of Hydromorphone a day,Of course these did not give me much relief. The Exalgo takes 6 to 8 hours to even START to work,The hydro worked well but only lasted 4 hours, I was wondering if my Dr has given me a dose to match the methadone ? The dr said the next step was the patch, What would be the correct doseage from the Hydro to the patch would be correct ? I have seen that they come in different doses. And any info on what the best patches would be great !! Hope all are keeping the pain levels down on the cool nights

Cervical fusion C4-6.. Failed. Wrist fusion,and thyroid cancer, DDD with bone spurs L4-6

• The proper dosage for you would be what would control the pain. When they change you to different medications sometimes the switch alone can reset us and the dose can be lower. Unfortunately it has been my experience that we try a dose and see how well it works for me. That might mean for a few weeks I have a additional pain or possible less pain depending on the med. I myself use 25mcg of fentanyl and still use percocet for break through. Moving up to the 50mcgs patches actually made me feel to drugged and really just couldn't be in that shape, so went back to 25, as it was more comfortable for me. Do you also take meds for muscle spasms and for nerve pain? I also have soma and lyrica which help reduce some of the issues. Actually getting ready to take a increase in the lyrica as adding more pain medications in doesn't seem to be helping the pain, so trying the up in lyrica to see if it will change. Been doing extra duty on my tens and ice.
  • Thanks for the reply Tamtam, Yea that is what the Dr is doing now, trying to find a correct dose.He did say he might have to up the dose of exalgo on the next visit, but I think i might just try the patch. Like I said before waiting for 6 to 8 hours for the meds to take effect is not good, by that time I have been in pain so long, I think it has a hard time controling the pain.The hydro helps , which is the same as the exalgo just in IR form.I tried to find a conversion chart for compareing meds, but no luck. Yes, I am on soma and lyrica<300>mgs a day too. Besides trazadone 75 mgs at night, which I have to switch have been on it for 2 years and has lost its effect.
  • Yes always start on low dose of the patch. You can always take something with it if needed, 25 mc is safe bet if you been on meds for long time already, if you can get releif with the 25 mcg then no reason to move up,

I dont want to be totaly under the control of the pain medication where i have to keep going to higher dose because once you reach max dose its going to be a hard fall coming down and off it as i heard some members mention it here,

Fentynal has many combo medicarions in it from what i read so the 25 for me helps with some norco along with it, only thing it dont work on much is the nerve pain from my nerve damage.

I have not found anything to date that can stop the pressure the nerve creates and the burning without geting a sedated feeling from most of the nerve medicarions,

Good luck
    Flexicore ADR 2004 resulting nerve damage l4l5 Fusion 2006 same level, 2009 hardware removal with lami !
    2012 scs implant ,