Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Advice to recoup

williams.wslwwilliams.wsl Posts: 2
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:57 AM in Recovering from Surgery
My 79 year old father's back was broke at L2-4 levels over 30 years ago. In the past 11.5 weeks he's endured 3 surgeries to try to relieve his back pain. 8 hours to fuse L3-L5, remove 30 yr old broken rods above that, 3 hours 2.5 weeks later to cement in the screws holding the new rods that had loosened up (brittle bones). And finally 2 days ago 1.5 hours to cement a cracked vertebrea around L3. Paralysis for those few months many years ago had taken it's toll on his leg muscles anyways, but now after mostly laying in bed for 3 months he's lost almost 40 pounds (not a bad weight for him to be at) and is so weak. A bad experience at aqua therapy about a month ago, unable to get stood up in the locker room, and the pain he continues to endure have kept him away from any formal therapy. Today he sat at the kitchen bar height table for a bit and was to weak to get stood up from that position. My 77 year old 125lb mother had to let him lean over her back to get back to bed. That experience has completely upset him, not only about his situation but he's afraid she is going to get hurt. Where do I go from here? Any meal plans to help him build the strength to be able to stand? Best exercises anyone has found you can do in bed to strengthen his thighs? Any suggestions?

• to the Board. We're a friendly, caring bunch; after all, every one of us has been there done that spine-wise. As for muscle-strengthening suggestions, I recently saw a commercial on TV for a special formula - I can't remember if it's Ensure or Boost - that's supposed to help a prerson regain his/her strength (the name includes the word "Muscle"), so there's hope for your dad. Best wishes, and keep us posted. Love, Ess
  • I prefer Ensure. It tastes very good, and helps with energy. I have at least one a day, and too I have an Activia as well. That one is a high protein yogurt.

PCTF C4 - T2, Laminectomies C5, C6 & C7. Severe Palsy left arm/hand.
  • Thanks - headed to the grocery store now to pick up some Ensure. I think the really down day on Thurs. has been followed with some motivation to keep up the fight. He's been doing his exercise band stretching in bed at least twice a day, and getting up to do laps around the house. Fingers crossed we can get him to aqua therapy within a week or two.
  • I like protein powder also you can get but ensure is good also. I hope your Father gets back to aquatherapy ok. Best wishes Charry
    DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN