Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Hello Everyone

Hello, :H

My name is Lisa (aka : goddess). My lower back pain started after an automobile accident that occurred when I was 20 years old. While in the hospital I was diagnosed with degenerative disc disease. I was young and thought I was healed, as the ddd was not really explained to me at all. In 2005 I was told that I had a pituitary tumor and would need surgery. In the interim while waiting for the surgery to occur (due to complications) I fell repeatedly and re-injured my back.

This time I did not bounce back and had many painful flair ups. I learned that L3, L4 , and S1 were all herniated. I even learned what sciatica is, oh joy! Pain medication Vicodin and Soma/ Carisoprodol became my best friends. Off and on throughout the years I have had flair ups but they would ease and life would go on.

In 2007 the brain tumor came back and along with it the falling. This time I not only did I re-injure my spine but bruised my ribs and sprained my ankle and wrist. Well radiation (gamma knife) and now the tumor is gone (hopefully for good)! This time around I healed very slowly and the pain in my back never really went away. I am in pain all the time (a dull roar) with flair ups that leave me screaming so loud that the neighbors 3 doors down come running.

I have run the gambit on what might help. Physical therapy, swimming, piriformis , epidurals, Vicodin, Carisoprodol, cymbalta and now i am taking Soma, Oxycontin, and Sevella and Advil and still in pain! Always in pain 24/7/ 365. It is so hard to try to explain how badly you hurt to others when you look just fine on the out side! That is why am so happy to have stumbled upon this sight and the knowledge that I am not an oddity nor alone.

My greatest fear is that at some point soon I will no longer be capeable of walking (at al) and will find myself confined in a wheelchair.

With humble gratitude,

• Welcome to the site. This site certainly is unique and provides some comfort knowing that you are in good but pained company.

It sounds like you're progressing through a number of issues simultaneously and hopefully your tumour is a thing of the past. That would leave your back pain as your "sole companion" and the object of your attention.

In my experience, herniated discs are often cause for different symptoms from one person to the next. In my case, I have permanently lost normal sensation in the first three digits of my right hand (cervical spinal injury) and also boast herniated and sequestrated discs from the L4 to the S1 levels. It's how I cope with the pain that I challenge myself with. The pain itself is a constant.

I have not heard of any cases wherein herniated discs ultimately result in an individual being wheelchair bound. I guess, however, that's dependent on the severity and how the nerves may have been compromised.

Keep us informed.
  • hi and welcome to the forum! we are here to offer you support and answer what questions we can. i am so glad you dropped in! i am sorry you are suffering with chronic pain in such severity.. you have tried alot of conservative measures in order to relieve your pain. i am sorry none of them alleviated it! you have come to a great place to gather support. you would be amazed how being around others who feel as you do can often make you feel better!! please make yourself at home!! have you had a recent MRI and talked to a surgeon? that is all i see you have not done lately! please feel free to drop in anytime!Jenny :)