Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement
advertisement
Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

MY RESULTS FROM SURGEON SHOPPING .....

yellowboyyyellowboy Posts: 46
edited 06/11/2012 - 7:57 AM in Neck Pain: Cervical
I had a ACDF in June of 2008, C5-7. My pain on right of neck, shoulder, and arm never went away. (They were pressing on my spinal cord).

The original surgeon said nothing else was appropriate , see a pain management doctor. I got all kinds of injections, an ablation, pills, etc, much of which I had before surgery. No less pain so I decided to go surgeon shopping. (Thank goodness for good insurance.)

All the below were well rated except # 3 who was a referral by my pain management DR.who told me he was an aggressive surgeon.

Surgeon # 2 agrees with # 1, can't do anything surgically.

Surgeon # 3 takes 2 X rays, says he wants to take 2 more disc's out (C3-5) that worried me so I go to......

Surgeon # 4, who will probably be my last for now, orders a myleogram (first one I had), agrees with # 1 & 2 and recommends I see a neurologist for treatment (not sure what a neurologist can do for me), but I'll give it a try. He also says anyone like # 3 is a quack for recommending more surgery, especially 2 more disc's removal !

I was looking for a quick fix, but came to my senses. Sure glad I went to # 4 !!
advertisement

Comments

• Thank goodness you got 4 opinions..Good luck
  • I had a 4 level ACDF earlier this year. My surgeon told me up front that a successful surgery would be arresting any further deterioration and impingement on the spinal chord. He said that I may get some improvement as the nerves and everything heals. I have no idea if your situation is similar to mine. The radiating pain down my arms is somewhat better, but certainly not gone. It helped my neck and shoulder pain more. I had gone to 3 different surgeons before I had the surgery. I definitely agree with getting multiple opinions. If you would get multiple opinions and quotes before having something done on your house, why would someone not do the same with their body?

I saw my surgeon about my lower back, and he recommended a pain management doc. I'm going through that now, but so far no luck.

It is tough going through the pain, coming to terms with it, knowing what to do. I hope you find some relief.
    KarenD
    4 level ACDF C4-C7 5-2-11, laminectomy & discectomy L4-L5 1/26/12, ALIF L4-5, L5-S1 12/10/12.
  • I went to 3 NSs and they all agreed on getting an ACDF, but disagreed on number of levels: the first one said 2 levels, the second said 3 levels and the third said 1 level. It's amazing how surgeons will try to talk you into multiple levels, even if it's unnecessary.

Good luck with the neurologist appointment and hope you can find a way to manage the pain.
    2011 ACDF C5-6 for Spondylosis with Myleopathy
    2012 L4-5 herniated disc and hernated disc at C4/5 2013 Taking Amitriptyline for headaches