Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

I'm back after a long absence

j.howiejj.howie Brentwood, Ca., USAPosts: 1,730
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:57 AM in Chronic Pain
I haven't been on here at all lately. I just didn't feel like I had anything positive to contribute anymore. I had a serious pain spike that would not go away. It only got worse and led to depression. My feet were on fire and the BEAST was biting my lower back and just wouldn't let go.
I had just had a c.t. myelogram in DEC. and it showed problem's above my last surgery. At L,1- L-2, and also at L-1, T-12. But not that bad. And certainly not requiring surgery. I thought maybe I was just crazy. And there was something going on subconsciously. But I definitely didn't think my life was worth living, for me and everyone around me. I think 25 years of chronic pain and 7 surgeries will do that to you! I get one fused and a year give or take the next one degenerates. Get that one fused and same thing. So another fusion. and on and on.
so I went to my p.m. Dr. and requested a couple of esi's and to be referred back to my surgeon. I had been denied the esi's 5 times already.
Well they denied them again but did approve a appointment with my surgeon. He did 2 ex-rays, and a ex-ray with flection. He said I had drastic changes and kept pulling up the c.t. from Dec. and comparing them to the ex-rays we had today ( last Mon.) And said to look at the difference. And there was no need for another myelogram. It was clear I had blown out the next two above. And that he would have to redo L-5 as well.
well I wasn't happy about another surgery. But good to know I wasn't crazy. So he said they have 20 days by state law to either approve or deny the surgery. We shall see!
Click my name to see my Medical history
You get what you get, not what you deserve......I stole that from Susan (rip)
Today is yours to embrace........ for tomorrow, who knows what might be starring you in the face!

• Wow sorry to hear that Jim, Welcome back, I thought i blew a disc above my adr/fusion becsuse pain got so out of control here also. But they said nope it looks fine,

I can understand being away when pain is out of control, i do the same thing,

Good luck. Hopefully they can fix you up again, None of this is easy eh?
    Flexicore ADR 2004 resulting nerve damage l4l5 Fusion 2006 same level, 2009 hardware removal with lami !
    2012 scs implant ,
  • Jim,

Good your back, but not good for the reason your back. At least you know your body. Hopefully the insurance won't take to long to give you a answer. I am the same as you, when the pain is high don't spend to much time on here, to hard to concentrate. So many of us understand that reason, all to well and do the same. Keep us posted on how you get along with the approval.
  • I feel SO bad for you!!!!!!! :hug:

Some times my pain drives me into such a mixture of depression, anger etc that I think my user name should be "pleading insanity" ;)

Reading your post tonight is odd as I just this evening had a long talk with my Dr about fusion surgery and he said that with all that is wrong with me that I am looking at getting all the L's fused (not sure he said what they can do about fusing s, not sure why I think I need to pay more attention to the physics of this stuff) but he added that I will hernate above the L and then get that fused, and it will just keeping going.

So I am confused now if the talk was to talk me into or out of the surgery lol

But reading your history along with others here I do see now that this does happen often to people with fusions.

How can your insurance NOT approve you for surgery with all this going on?
    L1 - S2 "gone" useless in 1 way or another. DDD. RA. Bone Spurs. Tons of nerve damage/issues. Stenosis. Both knees replaced. 50 yrs old. I had a great fall (hence my user name) at age 41 and it has been a domino effect every since.
  • Ugh! Sorry to hear you are having a tough time. While none of us wish to have these problems, it IS nice to be validated and to know it's not in your head. Hang in there and keep on keepin' on!
  • Seeing your name makes me smile~ remembering how much support you gave "us" a year ago when I was lost- feeling scared and facing my first fusion.
    Now it is our turn to support you!

I'm sorry your journey continues... But we are here to support you thru this. Ruby slippers and all. :)
  • Sorry that you need surgery again and I hope that insurance approves it right away.

I know you've had awful unrelenting pain since you rescued that boy that day at the racetrack. I hope you get some relief soon and praying for you and thinking positive thoughts. Charry
    DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN
  • So good to see you back here again, but not good that you're facing MORE surgery.

When one's been in pain for a long time, it's natural to be depressed, and very hard to be encouraging to others - we understand.

Can't understand why you've been refused ESI's all those times.

Do let us know how you're going and we'll help you get through it.

XLIF L2-4 20.8.15
    ALIF L4/5 2009
    Laminectomy/discectomy L4/5 2008
  • Welcome back Jim,

Sorry your having such a terrible time lately. It will get better. I will be sending good vibes your way.

• You have always been an amusing support to others in trouble.

I am so sorry to hear that you are suffering so much again.

We can't change your problems (wish I could be the white witch and do just that for you), but we can be here for you and offer understanding and support.

Hoping that you hang around and let us try to make you feel a bit more upbeat.

• Nice to see you again but sorry you've been having such a rough time. I'm very sorry to hear that you're needing to have another surgery. Sometimes it seems like it never ends with us spineys.

Don't worry about not being around to help others, you have to take care of yourself right now. We'll be here to support you, of course, whenever you can get on to keep us posted.

I don't know if helping that boy started you down this path, but I do remember the old saying: "No good deed goes unpunished." Hmmph.

We miss you, my friend, but unhappy that you're going through so much.
  • dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 9,832
    First, I know that when you are having tough times, you dont get on that much to post. I think that your rough spells are getting harder and harder to deal with. Believe me, at our ages and what we have been through I completely understand.

But then for a while I thought, well maybe Jim is doing much better out in the open country enjoying life. I know that would be your choice if it was up to you.

But now reading your thread, I realize that the pain and the beast came back to you. I know its not easy, but then again, over the years, I have not met many people like you who will bounce back and fight it off.

Jim, some day, when the stars, the moon, the sun, the winds and all the rest line up, I see you and me standing tall and beating down that ugly Beast. If not for our own health but to make sure it doesnt continue to cause havoc on others.

I am glad to see you back, sad to hear you are having problems.

Jim, take care, be strong as you have always been
    Ron DiLauro Spine-Health System Administrator
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
    You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com
  • It's nice to see you Jim, but not for the reasons why you felt the need to come back. Sorry to hear that you need another surgery, I hope that they come back quickly with the answer so that you're not waiting on pins and needles too long. Hang in there, and hopefully we'll see you around some more, but for better reasons!
    APROUD CANADIANveteranButNOTa doctor, my thoughts are my own
  • It is good to see you back here, but sorry that it is due to more problems.

Don't worry about getting on here to help and support others (as you have always done) It is your turn now, to have us support you. >:D<

I too, just don't get it about the ESI's being denied,something that might help you while you await approval of surgery. I hope that the wait is short for you.

We are here for you, whenever you need us.

>:D< Karen
    >:D< >:-D< : Karen
    L3-S1 herniation and bulges, stenosis, mod facet,ddd,impinged nerves,coccydinia
    discectomy/lami July 2011-unsuccessful
    adr L5-S1 Feb 2012
  • sunny1966ssunny1966 VIRGINIAPosts: 1,385
    I've missed you and have been thinking of you. I'm sorry you've gotten so much worse and are facing another surgery. I just hope that things improve for you my friend.

I'll send you an email soon and we can catch up. Sorry I haven't checked on you sooner but like others I thought maybe things were going well and you were just taking a break from all of it. Sorry that's not the case.

Take care,
  • j.howiejj.howie Brentwood, Ca., USAPosts: 1,730
    I wish better was the case. But it's not. At least I know where the pain generator is. And that I'm not totally crazy.
    Thanks for carrying. >:D<
    Click my name to see my Medical history
    You get what you get, not what you deserve......I stole that from Susan (rip)
    Today is yours to embrace........ for tomorrow, who knows what might be starring you in the face!
This discussion has been closed.