Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

10 days Post Op - Lumbar Discectomy

tarin520ttarin520 Posts: 17
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:57 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
I cannot believe I am even typing this - but I am feeling fantastic. I haven't been on the computer too much as I am trying to step away from of my bad habits. I had my surgery on October 5th. What a day that was. I was trying to get myself and my daughter ready and the surgery got bumped up from 11:05 to 9:30. No problem - called my mother for my daughter and hopped into the shower. Next thing I know my husband is in the room saying - they need you now! No time for nerves apparently. The surgery itself went well, although there was concern of a spinal leak. May I just say, being forced to like at a 20 degree angle for 24 hours certainly tests your patience. Having a roommate with so many guests they end up in your curtained area also plays a part. But - the recovery. The first 24 hours were tough, mainly because I was trying to get myself into the mindset that I couldn't bend, lift, twist, etc. I found evenings the worst, as you are trying desperately to get comfortable and there is just no way to do so. I need to stress - walking is imperative. My brother had the same surgery a year ago and wasn't able to walk alot due to a clotting complication and he had a horrible time. Myself - I'm still a little stiff but I am up on my feet, moving about, and although my left leg is still numb, I can notice definite improvement. Had my post op on Thursday - the surgeon said my herniation was so large, it was the size of his thumb. He knew he didn't need to go onto the right side, as the herniation had actually been spreading into the right region it was so large. He is thrilled with the success. Currently I am still taking it easy but am trying to walk whenever I can. If I can't, I through on the tv and go to the Leslie Sansone walk away the pounds and do a mile or 2 on the tv. I am really feeling that this surgery (at this point mind you) has not only cured my pain but is pushing me into a more healthy lifestyle. The desire to walk, the desire to just drink water, etc, is becoming more common place I hope all that had surgeries in the past week or coming up have success and an easy recovery. I know I have a long way to go but right now - I'm feeling like I have been given my life back!

• Fantastic to hear. Just take it nice and easy and protect your wellbeing.

About 5 years ago, and after 30someodd years, I stopped drinking sodas cold turkey. It was 6 months of sheer hell, but I did it. Haven't had one yet. I do miss them sometimes, but I love water now and drink tons of it.

Keep up the good work. <):)
    On the sunny and mild Central Coast of California

L4-L5 endoscopic transforaminal microdiscectomy June, 2007
    L5-S1 endoscopic transforaminal microdiscectomy May, 2008
  • Are you still feeling good?? I am having a discectomy next Tuesday and it's great to hear the positive/success stories.

I hope you're still feeling great!