Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

What next after Enbrel?

TracyLynneTTracyLynne Posts: 598
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:57 AM in Arthritis, Osteoarthritis
I started on Enbrel about five months ago when my rheumatologist diagnosed me with "some sort of spondyloarthritis" - possibly psoriatic arthritis - despite the fact that I have no psoriasis, but it does run in my family. I started on Enbrel, and after a few months noticed that my SI joint pain disappeared, as did the constant muscle spasms around my shoulderblades, and the constant pain in the spinous process (tissue along the top of the spine).

A couple of weeks ago, I had a nasty setback, pain-wise, and had a course of prednisone to settle things down. It's a wonder drug, of course, so ALL my pain was gone for about 10 days. Unfortunately, it came back with a vengeance, and since then I have had uncontrollable neck pain, shoulderblade spasms and SI joint pain. On my last trip to the ER I had quite a meltdown when the doc confirmed it was, in fact, my SI joints that were flared up; I was so thankful for the Enbrel (despite all the miserable side effects and risks) because I had relief from SOME pain, at least.

I have had trigger point injections and many injections for pain this past 10 days, but to no avail.

I don't see my rheumatologist until the beginning of December, but I did send him an email asking what he suggests I do at this point. If the Enbrel isn't helping, I need to get off it ASAP.

I see that some of you have moved on to Humira - can you tell me what kind of relief you had and what sort of side effects you've experienced?

Thanks for the input.

• I took Enbrel for quite a while, and have switched to Humira. I didn't have any side affects from either. I'm seeing my rheumatologist next week. I've been having a lot of pain in a lot of areas. He could increase the frequency of Humira to 1/week instead of 2. Remicade (sp?) is another possibility - that's by infusion. Otherwise...I'm not sure.

All the best,

4 level ACDF C4-C7 5-2-11, laminectomy & discectomy L4-L5 1/26/12, ALIF L4-5, L5-S1 12/10/12.
This discussion has been closed.