Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Osteopathic Manipulative Treatement?

Lili_InuLLili_Inu Posts: 633
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:57 AM in Pain Management
I just met with my physiatrist for the first time. She is also a DO and qualified to perform OMT - osteopathic manipulative treatment. The pamphlet she gave me is vague. Has anyone had this therapy and had good results? :?
2011 ACDF C5-6 for Spondylosis with Myleopathy
2012 L4-5 herniated disc and hernated disc at C4/5 2013 Taking Amitriptyline for headaches

• I tried that, and it made things worse. It felt great at first, when he did it, but shortly after ( within an hour ) I worse worse then before I went in there. My pain management doctor told me that If I keep getting it done, I will end up in a wheel chair.
    As soon as he told me that it stopped.

Before you do this check with your doctor who knows all about your condition(s).
  • dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 9,875
    My physiatrist suggested I try using an Osteopathic doctor.
    Take a look at: Osteopathy

Bottom line for me, was that these treatments were like the acupuncture treatments I had. The work fine, initially helping with the pain, but they were never long lasting.
    Ron DiLauro Spine-Health System Administrator
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
    You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com
  • I read the thread that you provided through the link. You seemed to have done well, but I guess you can't keep going forever. My physiatrist said that I will see her for 6 sessions and if it doesn't work, then it won't help me. I guess it's worth a try since my insurance is covering it.

2012 L4-5 herniated disc and hernated disc at C4/5 2013 Taking Amitriptyline for headaches
  • How're you doing with your Osteopath treatments?

I just read Ron's link and it sounds very informative.

I think I may see one after I get my lumbar MRI results and see if my Physiatrist Dr. can come up with some treatment.
    I'm so desperate for pain relief I just ordered Back2Life and an exercise machine you do kneeling! But it's a free shipping deal I got.

Let me know your progress Lili Lui. Charry
    DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN
  • Hi Charry! I had my first treatment on Tuesday and I feel a little better. Mind you, I am doing PT and have been doing self-massages, stretching at home, so not sure if it's one or the combination of everything that is helping me. I will see her again in 3 weeks for same treatment. She says that if after 2 treatments I am not getting results, then we will try something else. I will keep you posted after the next one!

Good luck with your follow up with physiatrist and the Back2Life machine! Let me know how it goes! :)
  • I've had GOOD results with OMT. It was especially helpful when I was pregnant, as it was gentle adjustments. The OMT I saw explained it as treating the whole body, nerves and muscles and it reduced my SI joint pain, hip pain, neck, any other pains. I do have to do periodic adjustments (1-2 months apart) as I get "tight" or off balance. OMT can re-align your body, my posture improves, my hips are in better alignment, legs are same length (not one side tight and make one leg shorter than the other), etc. I think it depends on how well the DO who administers it works with you to explain the process and listens to your feedback. She also has given me flexeril when the pain was bad. Sometimes you are SORE a few days after and thats normal.