Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Anyone else find that alcohol helps with pain? (even post inebriation)

pinetarppinetar Posts: 10
I wouldn't condone or endorse the use of alcohol as a pain remedy to anyone, that would just be foolish, but in my experience I've found that it helps with pain almost immediately and even following getting inebriated, 24 hours later, the pain will still be tamed down some what.

My guess is that it's relaxing the muscles/nerves in my body and that the more stress I experience, the more tense my body becomes, the more my nerves become irritated.

Does anyone know of any non-narcotic meds that could possibly do the same thing?

• Hi pinetar,

Yes I think that alcohol helps with pain relief but it comes at a cost and I don't mean dollar wise.

You will find that there are many articles relating to this form of self medication with just a quick Google search, as I did, so I won't say much more other than to agree that alcohol relaxes the muscles, dulls the nerves and reduces general mussel stresses.

Just for the record and so as you know that I do understand where your coming from, I am sitting here with a large bottle of Bourbon trying for the same numbing effects.

I do have Valium and Pethidine tabs which do work so you could maybe try these if your doctor is willing to prescribe them, they are just not good enough for my pain.

I have a question of my own to ask which is this:

My doctor is away for a month and has left no instructions for repeat scripts of Morphine Sulfate which I have been taking 120mg of daily for longer than I care to admit and now I am going 'cold turkey'.

Q. I am 3 days into the withdrawal hence my self medication with liquor, I know over indulgence of alcohol is a bad thing but will it (drinking) help or hinder the withdrawal/recovery process?

I don't think that I could have typed this without at least a few drinks in me as I am not in very good shape right now :-/