Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

ALIF Surgery tomorrow!

SplendagrrlSSplendagrrl Posts: 108
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:57 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
Ok fellow spineys I am finally having surgery tomorrow at 7:30 am pacific. I am a little nervous but at this point just want it over with so I do not have to think about it anymore. Right now I am on the second day of fasting, clear liquids only. Did anyone else have to do a whole two day fast? Seems kind of long. Anyway just preparing all last minute things today and I still have to pack, Please keep me in your prayers. Tomorrow I will finally be on the other side...lol I will update as soon as I can. :)

• Good luck with your surgery tomorrow and hope you find your relief once its over.
    I've never heard of a 2 day fast...that would have to really suck.
    My surgery is scheduled for Friday if the peer to peer goes okay on Mon or Tue, so I know what you mean about just wanting to get it over with. Tired of thinking about it. I've worried myself sick all weekend. I just want to get better and get on with my life w/ my family.

Good luck to you...keep your head up!

• I've never fasted for surgery, although, when and if I have an ALIF, I will... That's what was told to me. They want you really empty!!! Good luck! Just think you'll be on the otherside tomorrow!!! Prayers and gentle hugs, Brenda C.
  • I hope all goes well with your surgery and recovery. That's a long fast for you but I find jell-o filling and chicken broth soup. Hoping to hear from you asap after your surgery. Charry
    DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN
  • you all the best tomorrow! This will be a new begining for you.

Look forward to hearing from you when you are able.

big gentle >:D<
    >:D< >:-D< : Karen
    L3-S1 herniation and bulges, stenosis, mod facet,ddd,impinged nerves,coccydinia
    discectomy/lami July 2011-unsuccessful
    adr L5-S1 Feb 2012
  • I didn't think about. Hicken broth soup, I am starving!!! Have had nothing but drinks and Popsicles for two days!!! Lol
  • Bryan, just wanted to wish you the best. Will be praying for a good outcome on your peer to peer!!! Praying also for your surgery Friday and for the surgeon to have steady hands! Keep us posted!

• for obvious reasons .i wish you well with the operation and i know you know its no picnic ,good luck and i hope all goes well ..be prepared for a long recovery
    tony xx
    1997 laminectomy
    2007 repeat laminectomy and discectomy L4/L5
    2011 ALIF {L4/L5/S1}
    2012 ? bowel problems .still under investigation
    2014 bladder operation may 19th 2014
  • I'll send a prayer for your successful surgery and recovery. My PLIF will be two weeks after yours. I know you are probably at the point that you just want to get it over with. How long of a recovery time did your surgeon estimate? I'm afraid mine is a little optimistic but I am hoping for the best. Try to keep us up to date with your recovery when you are able.

Gentle Hugs
  • Good luck tomorrow, sending positive vibes that everything works out well and you will soon be on the fast track to healing. Prayers that everything will be fixed and your no longer in pain. Good luck and post back as soon as you can.
  • Jacqueline and Bryan! Before you know it you'll be on the other side, AND you'll be in my prayers (with all the caring folks on SH, the sky will be full of them, and God never tires.) Love 'n >:D< 2 Each of You, Ess
  • I hope all goes well and you are soon pain free. Good luck and try to get a good night sleep.
  • Hope your surgery goes well tomorrow and that your pain will be well controlled.

I had an ALIF two years ago (successful) and I only had to do a bowel cleanse the afternoon before and was then allowed some clear soup and jelly for dinner that night. I only had to take one sachet of Picoprep.

Looking forward to an update once you're able to.

XLIF L2-4 20.8.15
    ALIF L4/5 2009
    Laminectomy/discectomy L4/5 2008
  • I hope that the surgery went well, and you are comfortable on the other side!!! Thinking of you!!
  • Prayers to you as well Jacqueline...everyone will be thinking of you tomorrow and soon you'll be on the other side. 4 days until my plif, and I'll find out the results of my p2p first thing in the morn as it was too late to find out.Let us know how you did when you are feeling up to it.
    Thanks to Essmoe29 also. : )
  • I hope you're doin ok Jackie

On the sunny and mild Central Coast of California

L4-L5 endoscopic transforaminal microdiscectomy June, 2007
    L5-S1 endoscopic transforaminal microdiscectomy May, 2008
  • Hopefully we will be hearing from you today as you exit the hospital and start the home recovery portion. Wishing you all the best and speedy recovery. Keep us posted.
  • of you Jacqueline! Hope that you are resting comfortably, pain is under control, and recovery is on its way.

>:D< Karen
    >:D< >:-D< : Karen
    L3-S1 herniation and bulges, stenosis, mod facet,ddd,impinged nerves,coccydinia
    discectomy/lami July 2011-unsuccessful
    adr L5-S1 Feb 2012
  • Hi,
    Thinking of you. Hope you're resting and as comfortable as can be in your hospital bed.

You've been in my thoughts and prayers.

Wishing you a speedy path to wellness!!!

You did it! Now for the hard part - recovery!!! <:P
  • Best of luck, get well soon!,
    Flexicore ADR 2004 resulting nerve damage l4l5 Fusion 2006 same level, 2009 hardware removal with lami !
    2012 scs implant ,
  • of each other .and the first thing i though of this morning was ..how are they both doing ...?? i just hope that both of you are on the better side of the operation and i look forward to hearing from you both .
    tony {UK}
    1997 laminectomy
    2007 repeat laminectomy and discectomy L4/L5
    2011 ALIF {L4/L5/S1}
    2012 ? bowel problems .still under investigation
    2014 bladder operation may 19th 2014