Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

ALIF tomorrow - pep talk?

oonamilkooonamilk Posts: 62
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:57 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
Here is the compulsory 3AM can't sleep my surgery is tomorrow post. My ALIF is tomorrow (wed), and I've got the jitters. I've got today to wrap up any last minute things. My hubby is freaking out, too, and our baby-sitter for the day of the surgery just fell through. :-(

urgh. Any last minute things that I should be sure to do guys? Any pep talks? Any items I absolutely can not live without?

In preop they said no makeup or face cream, but lipstick is OK. that was a puzzler.

I'm also having my abdominal wall separation repaired along with the ALIF, so that will add to the fun and the recovery aches and pains.

hmm... just 29 hours away....

• The time is almost here! Wanted to wish you all the best!
    Have you set up your home for when you return, such as putting things at a level that you won't have to bend to reach them?Have simple easy meals that you can pop in microwave, or arrange for others to help with meals. There is a list of post of must haves on here http://www.spine-health.com/forum/back-surgery-and-neck-surgery/post-op-must-haves-0 although it is a huge list and you won't need everything, it is a good list to browse through and see what is important.

Do you have to fast today? Try to do something special for yourself today, you deserve it! Hope that a family memeber or friend will step up to babysit for you. Do you know how long you are supposed to be in the hospital?With abdominal wall surgery as well, thinking extra time in hospital?

Will be thinking of you, and look forward to hearing from you when you are on the other side.

Big gentle >:D<
    >:D< >:-D< : Karen
    L3-S1 herniation and bulges, stenosis, mod facet,ddd,impinged nerves,coccydinia
    discectomy/lami July 2011-unsuccessful
    adr L5-S1 Feb 2012
  • the reason you can't wear nail polish is because the pulse oximeter can't read the 02 level in your blood accurately ..as for make up why would you want to bother ? i can understand a nice hot shower pre surgery .i would not want to be unclean on the table .at the moment everywhere i look people are having ALIF/PLIF its the new laminectomy HAHA .in the 1990s laminectomies were the thing that's where it all went wrong for me .but back to the ALIF sure you must be 541TT1N6 it right now i know i would .the only advice i can give is make sure you have things around you for when you come around from your anaesthetic .and back in your room/ward family pictures /lip balm/your favorite bottled water/tissues your favorite music on an MP3 device..don't for get the head phones.and i am going to take my tempur millennium queen pillow as i can't sleep without it .,,i will be thinking of you and willing that everything goes to plan .i know its a very invasive procedure and recovery is a long hard road .please keep in touch after your operation i too will need support in dec for my ALIF .again i wish you all the luck in the world .there is another member; splenda girl. also just ALIF yesterday if you are interested ,i have not heard from here as yet ,i know you must be terrified but as soon as that cannula is in the back of your hand and the propofol start to flow ..you will be out !! take care
    1997 laminectomy
    2007 repeat laminectomy and discectomy L4/L5
    2011 ALIF {L4/L5/S1}
    2012 ? bowel problems .still under investigation
    2014 bladder operation may 19th 2014
  • Thanks Toni, I almost forgot about the headphones and mp3 player!!! That would have been a real disaster.

Luckily, we only live a few minutes bus ride away from the hospital - one of the perks of living in San Francisco, everything is in spitting distance - so if I forget anything urgent, I can send my dear hubby for them. :-)

Yeah, splendagrll is here in CA, too. I've been thinking of her. I hope her procedure went well.

We'll be here for you in December!

I don't know why anybody would want to wear makeup to a surgery, but my intake nurse said it happens all the time. women show up in tight pants and made up to the nines. I wonder where they think they're going afterwards. lols.
  • I have all my home goodies - the toilet seat riser, satin sheets (woot!), grabber thingie... yeah. I'm expecting to be in the hospital 4-5 days. but you know, they said the same they prolly say to everybody, until I can walk, eat, and my pain is manageable with oral pain meds.
  • Wear clean underware! Best of luck with your surgery,
    Flexicore ADR 2004 resulting nerve damage l4l5 Fusion 2006 same level, 2009 hardware removal with lami !
    2012 scs implant ,
  • Keeping you in my thoughts and prayers! Before you know it you will be on the recovery side of this journey! :)

After my 360 fusion, I had a ton of abdominal swelling. I had bought a size larger comfy pants but they didn't fit....:( I also had to have my brace adjusted to fit around my swelling. It may not happen to you, but you may want to have something with lots of room, keeping the receipt and tags on just in case! :)

It didn't happen with this last fusion, so I can only guestimate the abdominal fusion was the beast! :)

Wishing you all the best! We'll be here to support you through your recovery!

• Good luck, the only thing I can add is comfy clothes like sweat pants, shorts(elastic waste band), or big comfy pj pants. Of course the first day you won't want them, but as they begin getting you up and about, you will want them more and more. Also take some hard candy or throat lozenges, your mouth will be very dry and they come in quit handy.

If they give you one pain med and it isn't helping, don't be afraid to speak up and get something else. good luck and let us know how it went as soon as you feel up to it. Sending positive vibes and prayers you way.
  • for all the encouragement. I'll update you all as soon as I can.

• alexhurting said:
    Wear clean underware! Best of luck with your surgery,
    Hah, DON'T wear any at all!
    Good luck
This discussion has been closed.