Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

scheduled for facet

daisy maeddaisy mae Posts: 109
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:57 AM in Spinal Injections
I am just wondering what the facet injection is like? I have had the tpi without much problem but I am terrified because I was SUPPOSED to be referred to a guy who did them with a sedative or someting of the sort but th hospital called and sid nope it is cold turkey nd it is with the fluoroscopy(sp?) nd a radiologist is doing it..How bd does it hurt? Please be honest. The last tpi he hit the one nerve and i lmost jumped off the table...I am TERRIFIED!!!!

• Trigger point injections are with small needles and just go in your muscle. The facet joint injections they use a larger needle to go in but they freeze the area first with a smaller needle. I always got my facet joint injections with no sedation. The Fluroscope is an x-ray to make sure the Dr. is going in the right area with the needle.

I found some of the facet joint injections are tolerable but sometimes I could really feel it going deep and it was uncomfortable but it usually helped the back feel better but for me it was for only a short time. Since I had no sedation I would take my own breakthrough med and a mild sedative with the Drs knowledge. Two of the PM Drs I seen one was more gentle doing the FJIs. I hope you get pain relief with them. Charry
    DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN
  • Hey,
    I had facet injections followed by a facet neurotomy, and they were extremely painful. BUT, the result was a success and I was able to live after the neurotomy pain free for 3 years. I would do it again in a heartbeat.

I'm not going to lie, though, the injections themselves were awful. But the result was worth the pain.

• Hey Daisey,
    I have had a number of facet injections, always with mild sedation. I found them uncomfortable, and would strongly suggest insisting on sedation. There is no reason for your doctor not to offer it, and if he/she wont, I would find a new doctor. I know there are a lot of people who do it without, but there is no logical reason to go through such a procedure without pain relief (unless it is a financial or personal preferance).
  • I had 3 rounds of facet joint injections before my surgery and all were cold turkey. The first one was under xray guidance and the other two were under CT guidance. I will be honest they do hurt. Mine were not unbearable and made a difference for about 2-3 weeks. I think it's more un nerving when you feel them moving the needles into position. There are perifial nerves that can be hit which feel like you've been hit with a electric probe but it's more of a fright than pain.
    Best of luck. If you are really worried I would talk to your doctor and see if there is a mild sedative you can take.

Let us know how you go doll.
  • I've made my mind up. There is NO way I am doing this waitout sedation. Where I live, some drs DO offer sedation and *I* actually requested a dr who DID ( I told my dr I wouldn't go through with it without it being sedated as she knows I have a severe anxiety issues that pre exist the back but have been only been made worse because of the back almost to the point of agoraphobia. Maybe it was an honest mistake on her behalf but I go see her on Wed. so I will get this all settled. But I assure you, I will NOT be doing this without sedation.
    I have too many bad things going on and I think that is the least that they could do for someone in crippling pain. And you have to LOVE the nurse on the phone "OH it really is no big deal, you're in and out in like 15 minutes dear". So I say "Oh so you've had it done? You're in chronic pain too, you don't sleep more than 2 hours at a time, you can't carry on a conversation, you can't make love to your husband?" You could've heard a pin drop. I lost it guys. Totally thoughtless people who SHOULD know better! These PROFESSIONALS need to be trained better in manners..or empathy..is that the word I'm looking for? Damn topamax..ugh.
    I'll keep you posted.....Thanks xxxx
  • I hope you find a Dr. that gives sedation. I will not get injections again without after 3 years without sedation just the thought of getting them again I will not. Charry
    DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN
  • I had one done without sedation this summer and it was painful He gave me a shot first which was supposed to help with the pain a little but I don't know how much it helped. The pain of actually getting the shot didn't compare to the pain after though. For two days after the injection I was in so much pain. I went in for a follow up and he offered to do another injection since he said they usually do a series of three shots and I opted not to do it. I would def. reecommend finding someone who will sedate you.
  • Thank you all soooo much!!!!! I will!! I go tomorrow to my dr to talk about it, I will let you know how it goes :)