Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

oonamilkooonamilk Posts: 62
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:57 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
Hey spineys,
So, I was so nervous all last night, had the joy of administering a Fleet enema, fasting, all that.
Got to pre-op, checked in, had the HUGEST IV line inserted into my hand, and then waited for 5 hours. There was an emergency, and all the ORs were in use and behind schedule.

My surgeon came and talked to me about the surgery, 3 hours behind schedule. Said it should be soon now, and took off.

Waited 2 hours.

My Ortho and the Access/Vascular surgeon came back - there was now another emergency. The Vascular surgeon was about to prep for her 4th surgery of the day - 3rd emergency.

They asked. Should we do it tonight? That would get me out of OR around 10PM? The vascular surgeon urged me to reschedule - so I did. She looked tired. Last thing I want is a tired surgeon.

Man, what a day. It was practice. Next week I won't be nearly as nervous going into pre-op.

My daughter, bless her heart, was so happy when I came home, she asked me if the Doctors fixed me. :-(

No honey, not yet.

• Well the good thing if there can be one, is you know what to expect. I always believe things happen for a reason, what that reason is may not come to light till latter, but it will. Also now if anything goes different you will know something isn't right. But I feel for you all the anticipation and then well nothing. But you will definitely be prepared now, that is for sure.
  • I'm not mad, as somebody else's life or death situation is certainly worth a little inconvenience to me, and I pray that the emergency patients are OK.

It's just one of those things, you know.
    All that worry for nothing.

And now we get to do it again. :-)
  • i am happy that they did not operate so late in the night more chances of things going wrong ..you mentioned fleet i hope that don't want me to take that or any of the bowl cleansing preparation because i can not take them ..i have crohn's and for years regular colonoscopies were just something i just did without much thought but as i have gotten older i have found that i can't take any of the preps they make me violently sick so much so i needed injectable anti-emetic last time and because i could not take enough of the prep the colonoscopy was cancelled ..i take movicol every day but i take it with warm water and orange juice {it almost killed the taste} anyway back to your ALIF when is it ?? and again i wish you the best for it ..i wonder how splendor girl {Jackie?} got on with her ALIF?? anyone know ? let us know when you have you new date
    1997 laminectomy
    2007 repeat laminectomy and discectomy L4/L5
    2011 ALIF {L4/L5/S1}
    2012 ? bowel problems .still under investigation
    2014 bladder operation may 19th 2014
  • so sorry that after all the prep, stress and wait, your surgery was postponed. You have a wonderful additude, and you truly are a good person. I agree that it is better to have the surgeons fresh on another day, rather than have them working late into the night.

Hope that all went well with the emergencies. Just think, now that you have everything all ready for when you come home from surgery, you can spend all this week doing special, fun things for yourself and your family.

All things DO happen for a reason...

>:D< Karen
    >:D< >:-D< : Karen
    L3-S1 herniation and bulges, stenosis, mod facet,ddd,impinged nerves,coccydinia
    discectomy/lami July 2011-unsuccessful
    adr L5-S1 Feb 2012
  • I am sorry you had to go through all of that! I am glad that you decided to wait, there was a lot of people that needed help! It is better to have a surgeon with a clear mind, and has had rest :)

Now you know what to expect after going through all of that! I hope that the surgery will go well when you go back :)
  • Hey,
    They do want you to do a bowel cleansing, since they have to move all that out of the way. I'm sure if you talk to your doc about your worries, they can work with you. You can have a 3 day fast, like Jackie! ;-)

My ALIF is rescheduled for 10/26, next Wed. And yes, I'm glad to have an extra week to be with my family. We are planning to go to the pumpkin patch and pick out a good carver! woot! Wanted to go today, but you know how the back pain and meds can be... it didn't happen. :-(

I heard Jackie got through the surgery ok, but is in a lot of post-op pain. That's all I've heard from her. Hope to know more soon, too. She is in my thoughts as well.

Thanks guys, you all are the best. 6 days more before ALIF.

I'm definately going to ask for some topical lidocaine before they do that ginormous IV next week. The nurse said 'This is gonna hurt, it's a really big needle'. and she wasn't lying. Then she showed me the giant needle. I was like 'dont show me!' and she shoved it in my face. She said for the ALIF they have to use an extra thick IV because they use some medicine that is sticky. More for you to look forward to, Tony. :-)

• I mean jeesh dude, all I have is an aching back, which I've lived with for a long while. Other people were having aneurysms. They definitely get dibs on the OR and docs. I think most people would feel the same way.
  • oops, I thought you were a girl. -sorry bout that
    On the sunny and mild Central Coast of California

L4-L5 endoscopic transforaminal microdiscectomy June, 2007
    L5-S1 endoscopic transforaminal microdiscectomy May, 2008
  • n/m

• Hi Oona

Good decision not to have your surgery late in the day and you're right, emergencies have to take precedence.

When I had my ALIF, I didn't have a large IVF inserted prior to surgery. In fact, I wasn't able to have a pre-med because the surgeon hadn't signed the form, so it was straight into theatre. I thought I would be terrified, but was quite calm.

Noticed in your signature that you're allergic to most opiates, so hope your post-op pain will be controlled on whatever they can give you.

Make the most of the next few days.

XLIF L2-4 20.8.15
    ALIF L4/5 2009
    Laminectomy/discectomy L4/5 2008
  • We have had a couple of shakers today. Hope one doesn't hit during my surgery.
  • ohmygosh I am so sorry, I am such a dork. LOL Sorry. Just ignore me, I'm 8}

• no worries, paul. For all you know, I could actually be a perfectly healthy 24 year old dude on this site to meet hot chicks with bad backs. :P
  • Oh my gosh, onnamilk! I just spit out my coffee laughing at your last comment!!

Thank you!! :) I really need to laugh more, and that did it!!

Especially since these days I feel trapped in an old broken down body! :)

Enjoy your time at the pumpkin patch. creating memmories to last a life time!

It's interesting how different hospitals/surgeons operate, I didn't have to do any bowel prep before my 360. Hope it goes well!

Keeping you in my thoughts and prayers!

• if you can't take opiates ..smoke some ganja!{just kidding } but what ARE you going to do ?? and i have forgotten your real name .sorry ..i am in melt down mode its late here over 3am and i am still up not wanting to go to bed knowing that i will not sleep .listening to dark side of the moon ..pink floyd ..anything to help sleep ..hope the ALIF goes well as jackie's did splendor girl?
    take care
    tony {UK}
    1997 laminectomy
    2007 repeat laminectomy and discectomy L4/L5
    2011 ALIF {L4/L5/S1}
    2012 ? bowel problems .still under investigation
    2014 bladder operation may 19th 2014
  • Hi,

I have had 3 fusions, one 360, and one each front and back. I should have had them install a zipper. I did not have to do a bowel cleanse before any of them. Talk to your surgeon, especially with your issues.

Its frustrating getting all prepped and then have to go home. But yes, a back can usually wait when there are emergencies. But you know what to expect and that is a big help.

I have always been giving a numbing medication before the IV goes in. It makes it really easy. Please ask for something like that. How unprofessional to show you the big needle.

Since i have been thru so many of these and have had all the other stuff done prior that you have had
    (see list at bottom) I would be happy to answer any questions about surgery or recovery. You can PM me.

L4/L5 laminectomy, L4/L5 360 fusion with instrumentation, L1 to L5 fusion, L5/S1 fusion w/ disc replacement, left and right SI joints fused.
  • Wow thats really a kicker, after all your prep'ing for surgery only to have it cancelled.
    But it was cancelled for good reasons, as there is always someone who is needier.

Look at the bright side, you get to have another enema before this upcoming surgery. 8}
    And it good to see you are keeping your sence of humor thru it all, I'm with shari, on the spitting out coffee laughing at your post.

Well best of luck to ya, and hot chicks with bad backs are the best. LOL.
  • With FLEET ENEMA at the top of the list.

I'll have to listen to Van Halen 'Enema' (aka 'Panama') while working it out. (harrharr)

Tony - I love pink floyd too, but prefer piper at the gates of dawn.

I have not had internet access for a couple of nights. It makes the sleepless nights even longer....

ALIF redux, new time is 10/26 6AM in pre op. ugh

• And the opiates - so far I'm okay with oxycontin. No rash yet. Sometimes it takes a while for the rash to come, but so far, so good. My doc and I tried out some pain meds before scheduling the ALIF to make sure there was something I could tolerate first.
    But yeah, the med allergies are a real kicker, and make dealing with the pain hard.
    I'm also allergic to topomax, tramadol, and NSAIDS.

My sister works in pharma and she told me that natural redheads (such as yours truly) and Asians often have adverse reactions to medications, and so are selectively excluded from many drug clinical trials. Interesting, eh? And, there have been some studies done on redheads and our different tolerance to pain meds and anesthesia than other people... just another wildcard to throw into the whole pain management mix.

But yeah, Tony, it's a good question, and one that I've worried about too. If I suddenly develop a sensitivity to oxycontin, then I may be SOL.

• You have a wonderful attitude about all that has happened. After you are all fixed up can I have your positive attitude please? ;)

My thoughts & prayers go with you on Weds :D
    L1 - S2 "gone" useless in 1 way or another. DDD. RA. Bone Spurs. Tons of nerve damage/issues. Stenosis. Both knees replaced. 50 yrs old. I had a great fall (hence my user name) at age 41 and it has been a domino effect every since.