Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Failed Fusion?

airborne72airborne72 Posts: 245
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:57 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
I love the saying..."don't borrow trouble" so I hope that is not what I am doing by posting this question. However, I am seeking comments from others who have been in this situation.

I had a L4-S1 fusion last January (two rods, six screws from the rear). Immediately after the surgery and for about two months I felt relief, then I began to experience persistent aching in my legs and radicular pain in my lumbar area. We tried PT. We tried neurontin. We underwent the nerve conduction test. Each and all were not successful in relief or determining source of pain.

My guidance during the August appt with surgeon was to give time a chance. Monday of this week I told my surgeon that nothing has changed and now I have local pain (to touch) in my spine. He was discouraged. He said I was a prime candidate for a successful fusion (non smoker, non diabetic, not overweight, regular exerciser). I told him I was/am discouraged also. I am worse now than prior to surgery.

He ordered a CT scan and bone density test (occurs tomorrow). Follow up appt with him will be next Tuesday.

Here are my questions to the members of the list who can relate to this situation:

1) Does my story sound familiar?

2) If I am a "non fusion" then what happens?

• Airborne,

One thing that might be the easiest of all and have seen it a lot is the hardware itself. There have been many once the hardware is out, they do great. So hopefully in your case that is all it is. Taking it out is not nearly as hard as putting it in, and a relatively short recovery period. Of course if it is a non-fusion, depending on what it looks like if the bone is still growing or not, another surgery might be needed, to re-do the fusion.

Let us know what you find out, when you get the results.