Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

cervical radiculopathy, 'process of non syrgery'

bensid1965bbensid1965 Posts: 1
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:57 AM in Neck Pain: Cervical
Hello, my name is Colin, I am an English person and therefore feel no pain! I have just joined the sight as a result of radiculopathy as a result of a herniated disc. Off for my MRI in a couple of hours for an accurate assessment, hopefully non surgical will be enough to fix it. My question is how does the non surgery work? is it just pain relief untill the body heals itself? by doing this I guess the disc material goes back to its original position? does this mean there will allways be a weakness and a lifelong suseptibility to this injury? does this 'healing ' happen slowly or is there a wonderfull 'moment' through therapy or drugs or relaxation when the disc rights itself? how long does the damaged nerve take to heal? Is surgery, given its high success rate, the best option as this condition may cause problems in later life,(I am 46 now).Thankyou for considering my concerns< any advice would be greatly appreciated, Colin.

• Hi Colin,

Welcome to Spine Health. At least you are trying to keep up your humor. smile It's not always easy when dealing with nerve pain. Hope the MRI sheds some good answers for treatment.

I have a C6 and C7 radiculopthy that they have been trying to treat conservatively. It has helped over the years but is not helping me now. I was given a course of steroid treatment, went on Norco for analgesia, had some PT and traction and have also had many epidural steroid injections. Hopefully, some nonoperative treatments such as these may help. What kind of doctor are you seeing so far? I was given an 80% success rate for surgical intervention for my radiculopathy but my pain is elsewhere now too and await other testing. I have been lucky thus far and had been able to keep from surgery but as I age i add other problems and equations to the list of things going on. Mine was from an accident where I fractured my neck at about your age and i am now 60. Good luck and let us know what you find out.

Best Regards,