Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

SCS Trial started 10/20

StacyAnnSStacyAnn Posts: 50
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:57 AM in Spinal Cord Stimulation
I have to say that the only pain I have been feeling since the electrode was inserted, is where the electrode was inserted. They secured it down somehow once they found the right spot (south of my ribs where they started, OUCH).
I cried out when they secured it and heard them say, "you should still be numb, you shouldn't feel that". Well,THEY WERE WRONG!

I am interested to see if the pain in my back and leg will stay controlled when the intensity if the insertion site pain calms down.

Will keep you updated, but looking good so far!

• Very cool Stacy. I want to hear all about.

• I love this device. I still haven't had any of my normal pain (left lower back across buttock, down outside of thigh and leg across ankle and front of foot into mostly big toe).

The front of my stomach hurts like I got punched in the gut hard yesterday. I am wondering if that is related to the test firings yesterday that were too high up. Or my stomach might be upset from the shot of antibiotics they gave me because I have hardware and the antibiotics I have to take for the next 5 days.

I have been playing with the programs and adjusting the impulses. Then I save them if they are good. Not sure if they will be happy with me but they didn't tell me not to explore the device. They did tell me to read the manual if I wanted, which I did. Amazing what you can find out in those things!

So far the major drawback has been the very sore spot where they inserted and then secured the electrode. That still hurts like heck and the SCS does not cover that pain.

We will see what day number 2 brings tomorrow.

• Well, took a long drive today and, of course, with the stimulator off. However, after an hour at home with it on, I am comfortable. Most of the pain is gone with the exception of that damned insertion site!

I do notice today some stimulation in my front abdomen, mainly below the belly button, at certain stim levels. I wished I had more time to play with it but the doctor is taking it out Monday. My gut though tells me that going through and having a permanent SCS implanted will be worth it and will improve my quality of life. My emotional well being seems to be lifted as well, maybe knowing that there IS something out there other than sedating drugs that can help me.

If anyone has any questions, feel free to contact me. I am more than willing to share my experiences here. Its that kind of sharing that has helped get me through this 2+ year ordeal.

• Excellent Stacy,

Question did you have to wean down from your Pain Meds for the trial?

Keep us posted on if you are getting the permanent one & when.

• Overall, the trial went well. It did seem to help. So I am going ahead with the permanent implant.

As with the trial, I have to stop the Motrin 800mg three times a day. Boy, did I miss it when I didnt have it. Had to rely more heavily on muscle relaxers and narcotics. But its a safety issue since Motrin can cause you to bleed more easily.

I will post after the permanent implant to let you know how things are going.