Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

After L-5, S-1 fusion...how long before you can sit comfortably?

Oc DodgerOOc Dodger Posts: 3
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:57 AM in Recovering from Surgery
I am at 6 weeks post op, and I Still can't go back to work because I can't sit without pain. Can anyone tell me if youbhad the same L-5,s-1 fusion, and how long you were out of work and how long before the sitting pain stopped?

Thank you all in advance, it makes me feel better that other people are going through the same thing.

• Hi. I am now just over 12 weeks from my L5-S1 fusion. I found it took about 4-6 weeks before I felt really comfortable sitting down. However, I found sitting in a car difficult and still do find that a bit of a problem if it's for more than an hour (I haven't tried driving yet). I also find sitting forward on a chair while using a computer causes me a bit of back ache after only about 20 mins, especially if it is a hard chair like a dining chair. The pain eases if I lie down flat. My back felt ok until a couple of weeks ago when I had to do some artwork on the computer and sat for over 2 hours without realising and that has set my recovery back somewhat! I have gone back to trying to sit, stand or lie for no more than 20 mins at a time although this is difficult. The thing that really makes my back ache is leaning forward and stretching out to get something ie leaning to prune stuff in the garden.

Hope this helps!

• After my first fusion~L4-5 360, my surgeon limited sitting for the first 3 months. I went back to work at 14 weeks, not because I was ready, but because I was out of FMLA.

Sitting was still an issue. Someone on this site recommended "the Back Joy". It is a seat insert and it really helps. You can use it at home, in the car or at work. I got mine at Bed, Bath and Beyond, but you can also order them online.

I am 5 weeks out now with my second fusion, L3-4. This surgeon doesn't want me sitting more than 20-30 minutes at a time, and when I do, rarely am I comfortable.

You may want to try decompressing your spine after sitting for prolonged periods.

To do so, you want to lay on your back, with your hips bent to 90 degrees, your knees bent to 90 and your arms in line with your trunk.

It is hard for me to lay on my back, so I usually do this laying on my sofa, with my legs elevated so my hips are at 90 and my knees bent and calves/feet resting on cushions. Try to stay in this position for 15-20 minutes to decompress and unload your spine.

Hope this helps. Wishing you a full and speedy recovery!