Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Spinal fusion surgery completed!!

SplendagrrlSSplendagrrl Posts: 108
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:57 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
Well I am back home from the hospital and my two level fusion I had on Monday. I was released from the hospital on Thursday. So today is officially my first day home. I have been wanting to post but have been too tired to do so. It's ridiculous I want to fall asleep every few minutes. Anyway the surgery went very well but the pain I experienced in recovery was a nightmare, the worst pain I have ever felt after a surgery and believe me I have had many. Around the house today I seem to be able to do just about everything. I think my recovery is going well. Anyway just wanted to check in now that I am on the other side. Not to much detail for now because I am fighting off sleep. :)

• I have been wondering how you were doing! I am glad things went well, and recovery will be good!!!!!!
  • You made it home! I'm sorry your post op pain has been so difficult. But they let you come home, so you must be doing well now. Are you still in a lot of pain?
  • i am SO SO happy that your home .take care hun
    tony {UK} x
    1997 laminectomy
    2007 repeat laminectomy and discectomy L4/L5
    2011 ALIF {L4/L5/S1}
    2012 ? bowel problems .still under investigation
    2014 bladder operation may 19th 2014
  • Cool. Congrats. Good luck with your recovery, Take it slow like uncle Joe. Do not rush anything so you can heal and fuse, Dont mater how long it takes, your future depends on it,

Best wishes,
    Flexicore ADR 2004 resulting nerve damage l4l5 Fusion 2006 same level, 2009 hardware removal with lami !
    2012 scs implant ,
  • to hear that you are home and that everything went well. Hope that you now have your pain under control. Try to stay on schedule with pain meds, so not to let the pain get ahead of you.

As for the sleepiness, just go with it, best for healing. Baby steps, and slow but sure, you will be on the road to recovery.

Wishing you all the best!

>:D< Karen
    >:D< >:-D< : Karen
    L3-S1 herniation and bulges, stenosis, mod facet,ddd,impinged nerves,coccydinia
    discectomy/lami July 2011-unsuccessful
    adr L5-S1 Feb 2012
  • Regarding the pain - I was told by my admission nurse that spinal fusion is the most painful surgery there is.

I said, 'Well, except for open heart, right?"

She replied, "No. They can really knock you out after heart surgery, you don't feel the pain because you are out for the count."

Not so for a back, they have to keep you alert enough to know how the spine is doing, you have to be able to feel your nerves, you know the old - 'can you feel this' routine.

Yeh, back surgery sucks.

Hang in there and enjoy the need to sleep! There usually comes the time in the recovery where you really really want to sleep, but can't and it gets really frustrating and bad at times. Find the little moments and take it easy :)
  • So glad your surgery is behind you, and I pray this is your last surgery!!! Like everyone said, take tons of TLC. I'm praying every day brings you less pain and your recovery is fast! Gentle Hugs, Brenda C.
  • and so good to hear your making transition now from your surgery.

Listen to your body, stay with those pain meds, don't do too much when you get the reprieve of pain...well I know you're getting plenty advise... so

Offering you very best wishes and prayers in a continued smooth recovery and healing from your spine surgery with good fusion results.

ps I'm just returning to S-H after taking a "sabatical" with shocking verdict of "no surgery" being best option for my complex C-Spine multi-level & bilaterally. So hope to get better acquainted. :)
  • j.howiejj.howie Brentwood, Ca., USAPosts: 1,730
    Good to see you on the other side. Sorry about the pain. But I hope all goes well from here on out to the end of your recovery.
    Click my name to see my Medical history
    You get what you get, not what you deserve......I stole that from Susan (rip)
    Today is yours to embrace........ for tomorrow, who knows what might be starring you in the face!
  • How good does it feel to be in your own bed again??

That's unfortunate that you experienced a high level of pain in recovery, but sounds like things are on the up again.

I must have been lucky in that I didn't have any major pain in recovery or in the hospital, but I heard a couple of nurses in the recovery room saying that they had to "bag" me, so maybe my pain was too well controlled !!

Sleep as much as you can - we'll still be here when you can post again.

XLIF L2-4 20.8.15
    ALIF L4/5 2009
    Laminectomy/discectomy L4/5 2008
  • Sorry I missed this - had a facility change out, and had to readjust. Glad to see you are on the other side. I hope you fair better than I did! (G)

Let us know how it goes woman. Big welcome to the other side *HUGZ*

PCTF C4 - T2, Laminectomies C5, C6 & C7. Severe Palsy left arm/hand.