Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

frenchfriffrenchfri Posts: 325
Hi, I have been on the recovering from surgery forum for a while. The vascular surgeon, hand surgeon and PT all believe that I have TOS due to symptoms and Addason's test. Not sure what to do at this point. I have a future appt with vascular surgeon on 10/31/2011 and my OSS on 11/7/2011. Any suggestions on specific questions and or tests that would be helpful to make sure of the diagnosis and treatment. Frustrated and just want my life back. Since the car accident where I had significant whiplash all of the symptoms are increased in intensity, frequency and duration. My hands turn red or purplish and get swollen, I have wrist and hand pain. My lower back is sore and painful and toes on my left foot go numb. My neck also get muscle spasms and painful when I do too much like carrying laundry, groceries or household chores. I want o feel better and enjoy life again.
Thanks for all of the help.
12/9/2010 ACDF C5-6 C6-7 with plate, screws,
BMP & bone fragment filled cages
2/14/2011 trying to go back to work as a teacher
2/17/2011 starting PT
wearing bone stimulator 4 hours a day
DDD, arthritis, herniated disks, pinched nerves
3 months saw a little bit of bone growth (YEAH)
4/15/2011 Home Tens Unit
6 months - end plate growth going well - no more bone stimulator, issues with hands going to vascular and hand surgeons to find out why
8/2011 - may have TOS or RSD still researching
9/2/2011 Rear ended at 30 mph. Significant Whiplash
using the Tens unit again.
10/2011 Back to PT

Dealt with the pain and issues for more than 5 years
tried PT, chiropractic, acupuncture, cervical epidural shots and selective nerve root blocks prior to surgery

• also have lipoma in left arm pit !! if the TOS is not too bad i would leave it alone surgey in that area is brutal .do you have it bilateral? do you have the extra partial rib? .i have found that voltaren gel help with that pain .and the TENS set to TSE acticare TENS .that is ...just waiting for ALIF surgey this dec ..not looking forward to it but something needs to be done .good luck with whatever you decide{the Addison's test is not very reliable .have you had the doppler flow rate and nerve conduction test done too?? you TOS may have come from the trauma of the car crash .i was arse ended too at 60mph ..in the bad old days before seat belt pretensioners and airbags .so my poor body took the full hit {was wearing the seat belt ..for all the good it did i was hit so hard i hit the windscreen} know what you mean about wanting your life back ..i am always banging on about it ..life can suck .you will have to bear with me its 3 am over here and i am just in free fall ..writing mode .can't sleep so i come on here and FB .
    tony {UK}
    1997 laminectomy
    2007 repeat laminectomy and discectomy L4/L5
    2011 ALIF {L4/L5/S1}
    2012 ? bowel problems .still under investigation
    2014 bladder operation may 19th 2014
  • I use the Volaren gel, but I am not as consistent with it as I should be. I love the TENS unit. I had some TOS symptoms prior to the car crash, but the accident certainly made it worse. I go back to vascular surgeon next monday and then a week later to the OSS. The PT feels that I have TOS on both sides. My hands and finger hurt, get ice cold and turn bluish. Not too happy with the symptoms. I still have major muscle spasms in mt neck and shoulder areas. My lower back is sore and some toes go numb. Joy? I guess the accident could have been worse. Tying to be positive. Good luck with upcoming surgery.