Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Spinal cord stimulator?

ncpainweonncpainweo Posts: 5
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:57 AM in New Member Introductions
Hey I'm new, dealing with Chronic Pain all over. Has anyone tried Spinal cord stimulator? I'm at the end, Dr's say this is the last thing to do for failed back surgery in 05', I had a spinal fusion L-5 to S-1, tried shots, pills, nerve ablation, it's this first, then they tell me and if that fails, back surgery again?

• hi and welcome to the forum!! we are here to offer you support and answer what questions we can. i have not tried the stimulator but there are some on the forum who have.. i am sure they will drop by with advice!! i am sorry you are having chronic pain and have tried the gamut of conservative treatments which failed. it sounds like trying the stimulator would be a good option for you before surgery..please have a look around the forum and make yourself at home!!! stop by anytime.. i do hope you find a good pain control option.. Jenny :)
  • SavageSavage United StatesPosts: 5,476
    Welcome to the best site ever!
    I have no personal experience with the stimulator.. but the "search" on this site may be of use to you as you look into other people's experiences.

Good luck to you and your decision.
    Spine-Health Moderator
    Please read my medical history at: Medical History

• http://www.spine-health.com/forum/treatment/spinal-cord-stimulation

Here's a link to the SCS forum with 1000's of posts and some good information and many personal stories. Should give you more of an idea and also prompt a few more questions.

Welcome to Spine Health

• Hi
    I did go though with the trial and mine stopped working do to A faulty program.(that's what I was told)But it did work for 3 days.It did help with pain from the same surgery that you had.I had pain down my right leg an in my lower back. I now have the permanent Spinal Cord Stimulator it really helps with the leg pain BUT it does not do any thing for my back.I will tell you that for me the trial was really a waste of time because the permanent one works really nice.But you should ask lots of questions.feel free to ask.
  • Go for it! I've had one since about 1996. Went from being just about bed ridden for over a year with 2 young children to driving and functioning again! It was a miracle. I love being able to tell people about it. It's not perfect. I fell once and broke a lead, requiring a whole new unit being needed, but would still do it again in a heartbeat.

I had already had 10 lumbar surgeries beginning at age 19. They included discectomies, fusions, hardware, removal, etc. Eventually, I had a nerve root tear open and rootlets were torn and outside sheath. Drs. likened to exposed wires inside me. After several years the stim was not enough and I also have an intrathecal morpine pump which I also highly recommend. I even manage to work part time, although still on permanent disability. Only about 15 hrs a week, but better than nothing. Currently struggling with cervical issues due to 3rd MVA and cervical fusion preceding them about 10 yrs ago.

Wish you luck!
  • I had ask my doctor about the pump also and he said that I had the stimulator implant that he will not put both of them in.He said its one or the other.Like I said the stimulator helps with the leg pain BUT it does nothing for my low back pain.
  • mystim2010,

I'm sorry your dr will not consider both the SCS and pump. They work together very well for me. I recently got switched to a different dr for filling my pump and he asked how they were working for me and if I still use the SCS. When I said to him, that I don't know how, but that they seem to work together, he said that's what they're meant to do. It was actually my neurosurgeon that initially implanted my SCS that suggested the pump addition about 5 yrs later. He had stopped doing pain implants so sent me to my current pain group. I'm in the Baltimore area. I guess I'm fortunate to have been where I am. Although I find the bionics, as I call them, to be extremely helpful, a godsend truly, they are not w/o their own issues. I've broken a lead to the stim and had problems with the pump catheters. I've had one leak and 2 obstructions. In fact, with the surgery to repair the leaky catheter by replacing it and new pump (battery almost time), I awoke the next day swearing if I didn't know better, it still didn't work. No one believed me until refill time a month later. Every drop of morphine still in the pump! The catheter had popped out of hold-down bracket and folded on itself, plus a faulty pump! All in all, could not imagine life w/o them. Can you try a different dr?