Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

2 Level Fusion then Bypass Surgery-Same Day

DisneyHeadDDisneyHead Posts: 4
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:57 AM in New Member Introductions
Hello Everyone. Im a long term reader, first time writer. I am 43 years old, male and a teacher. I suffer from Cervical DDD, high blood pressure and I am diabetic. I figure after my most recent surgery and its events, its time to post and share. First a little history of what got me to this point. 
In 2006 I received a fusion of the C7-T1 and lost about 20% strength in right arm. But thankful to not be as in much pain. The Dr said at that time I had the neck of a 72 year old and I would be back for more. Since then, I had gotten 2 cortisones and one nerve block in neck to help with pain.
Then this past May I herniated my L4-S1. All summer pain in left buttocks down to knee cap. When school started this year after about 3 weeks I noticed extreme weakness and atrophy in my right arm. Not a lot of pain. Just very very weak. It got to the point I couldnt use my hand or arm hardly at all. The bicep was the only useful muscle. I could not button, zip, shower good, wash hair, write etc. so my neurosurgeon orrdered me an mri and saw C4-6 was pressing into my spinal cord about 60%. So he rearraranged his next days surgeries to get me in.  I could tell his urgency and that he was concerned and he was honest with me in that I may not get full use of my arm back.
Surgery day. When I woke up in recovery I began getting severe chest pains. Even with all the morphine And after fusing C4-C6 I was all over the bed in pain. An ambulance was called and I was taken from the surgery center to the hospital. I remember 4 nitro pills and 4 baby aspirin to ease the pain somewhat. 
Long story short, my widow maker valve was 93% blocked and was rushed to open heart surgery to fix it. I was lucky I was where I was when this happened and lucky I had any warning signs at all. The widow maker usually gives no warning and results in death. 
So these surgeries occured on Sept 29th. Im recovering well.  Personally think my nerve damage is permanent but we will see. My neck is hurting. Im just thankful to be alive.  its been some kinda roller coaster ride. I had ekg the day before and it was ok. From what ive read it is just hard to detect the widow maker blockage. 

• Wow! That is fortunate they were able to get you into heart surgery as quickly as they did. Those widowmaker heart attacks can kill so quickly most don't make it to surgery or even to the hospital. Glad to hear you are recovering well. I do hope that you regain more strength and function in your arm, but like you said, at least you are around to talk about it!

Welcome to Spine Health,

• its a word that i don't know the answer to when referred to the heart. is it the aortic valve? and is there a history in your family as you are very young to have heart problems .most don't show until you are in your 60s .anyway i hope that you are feeling better and recovery is a success
    tony {UK}
    1997 laminectomy
    2007 repeat laminectomy and discectomy L4/L5
    2011 ALIF {L4/L5/S1}
    2012 ? bowel problems .still under investigation
    2014 bladder operation may 19th 2014
  • The widow maker is the left anterior descending LAD coronary artery. Yeah there is a history of some heart disease in my family. Thank you all for the comments. I really enjoy this forum. I go see my cardiologist tomorrow. Ive started therapy on my hand. Its not goin well. I just think there was a lot of damage to the nerves.
  • hi and welcome to the forum! we are here to offer you support and answer what questions we can. i am sorry you are having difficulty with the therapy for your hand.. perhaps as you move forward, things will improve.. i hope so! good luck with your recovery! please be sure and follow the doctor's orders.. i hope all goes well with your heart!! Jenny :)
  • Well its around a month and a half after my fusion and bypass and I am still at home. My L4-S1 hernited discs are making life horrible for me. My right arm is not responding to therapy. My arm and my hand is just useless basically.
    Walking is getting worse. Thepain goes from my buttocks/hip to my knee. Istill do things around the hose and shop and all with a lot of wincing and moaning. My neorosurgeon thinks the pain is from inactivity of surgeries so we will see what happens.
    I see a neorologist next month to have nerve tests on the nerve damage in my arm. My wife is trying to get me to apply for disability as others have suggested. My retirement is through our state teachers retirement. Dont know if that would be harder to get than SSD or not?
    Anyway Iread alot on here and I just wanted to update my situation. Thanks again for everything.