Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

ACDF possibly with corpectomy

Mamma33MMamma33 Posts: 1
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:57 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
I am scheduled to have ACDF surgery on 10-31-11 at Valley Hospital in Ridgewood NJ. It is for C4-5 & C5-6. I am very nervous and really don't want to have it done. The neurosurgeon told me that I was risking paralysis everyday that I don't have it done so I guess i have no choice. The pain that I have doesn't seem to be the norm. My arms and hands get numb when I am on the computer for awhile and when I sleep but thats it for pain in the arms. The worst pain for me is that my legs fall asleep so quickly that I cannot even lay on my sides at night and of course my neck is sore and stiff all the time.
The surgeon called me the other day to tell me that he feels it may be better to have the corpectomy. I have looked up information online and i am not so sure that this is the way I want to go. Does anyone know what differences there are between the two surgeries as far as way of living. I am trying to figure out if the differences from having the ACDF.
Thank you for any help

• I live around Ridgewood and have a bone growth stimulator if you would like to have it. It still has months of use. I'm completely fused, so have no use for it.

I had an ACDF done in NYC in February this year. Have you shopped around for different opinions? Sorry I'm not familiar with corpectomy and can't help you there. I'm assuming you have spinal cord compression? PM me if you want to hear about my experience. Good luck!
    2011 ACDF C5-6 for Spondylosis with Myleopathy
    2012 L4-5 herniated disc and hernated disc at C4/5 2013 Taking Amitriptyline for headaches
  • Howdy and Welcome to Spine-Health!!! I had partial corpectomies for my C5/6 (on the top of my C6 vertebral body) and then a little over a year later my C6/7. The second partial was on the bottom of my C6 vertebral body.

Surgery is a very personal decision. So far I've felt that I've made the right decisions for the "go-no go" for whether I would have it. You and your body will know when it is right, and too if you have faith and trust in your surgeon, that there will help with your decision. Please let us know how it goes.

Again, Welcome aboard!!

PCTF C4 - T2, Laminectomies C5, C6 & C7. Severe Palsy left arm/hand.
  • jlrfryejjlrfrye ohioPosts: 1,110
    I had the corpectomy done in the cervical region, I had no choice it had to be done. My disc were so diseased it had to come out.