Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

blazerblazer Posts: 785
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:57 AM in Depression and Coping
Hi all'

Hoping maybe someone could tell me if my PM doctor could diagonse and treat me for depression.
Could it be added to my w/c list of more things going wrong with me.
All this stuff is building up and getting worse.

Thanks in advance.

• Your PM Dr. could help with an anti-depressant or your Primary Dr. Actually it was the PM Dr. who recommended Cymbalta for mine as well as it helps nerve pain and lower back pain also. I'm not on WC but know my Dr. said disability companies look at all your issues including depression. All the best. Charry
    DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN
  • It is really common for chronic pain patients to use an anti depressant. As far as w. comp goes, who knows they seem to make weird calls on stuff sometimes, but I would ask your pm doc about it. Usually by the time we realize we need something to help out with depression its something long overdue to deal with and as for me they have helped me a ton in dealing with living in pain. Another benefit of an antidepressant is that they also help with pain. Good luck and let us know.

• From what i know another dr will treat the depression not the pain dr,

Depression yes goes along with pain and both friends of mine who was on w/c also had treatment from pain dr and another dr for the depression. As long as pain dr is aware what meds other dr gives you everything should be cool with w/c and such,

Good luck,
    Flexicore ADR 2004 resulting nerve damage l4l5 Fusion 2006 same level, 2009 hardware removal with lami !
    2012 scs implant ,
  • Charry,mitch, alex.

I called my PM office yesterday, and left message with his nurse. Still havent heard from them so i just left another message.

While granted i know i'm got depression, and its partially related to this injury but probably not entirely, i'm hoping the PM will be able to switch me off the neurotin and replace it with cymbalta.

I need something to change my moods.
    When you feel like your going thru all this by yourself, its mentally exhausting.

Thanks again.
  • I had a bad reaction when i took the cymbalta. With oxycodine. First time the ambulance came to the house and took me down to silver cross. Same time i ended up with an ulcer of the stomach. Along with h pylori. Not sure if finaly the meds caused the stomach lining damage to where the cymbalta rushed in my system or what,

I turned real white in color and had trouble breathing. Scared the crap out of me,

I took antibiotics for months to kill off the hpilory bug that you can have along with the ulcer. I thought i was dying.

Just reduce the stress blazer somehow, That incident i speak off hapened after i lost my dad so might of had a lot to do with stress, pain and such,

Stress will cause all kinds of chit , depression, more pain, stress causes more acid in your stomach so its all bad,

You want me to send mary over to your house in a bikini? Maybe you wont have so much stress?
    Flexicore ADR 2004 resulting nerve damage l4l5 Fusion 2006 same level, 2009 hardware removal with lami !
    2012 scs implant ,
  • It can be the medications causing depression to, I doubt it but it can be. I have been crazy with this fentanyl patch and the PM doctor made me a appt for Mon to assess the need to change medicines again.
    I am sure it is not all of it, I get very depressed when I have increased pain,stress like Alex said will cause everything to increase.
    Cymbalta worked wonders for me, after my first surgery when the depression and pain made me a mess. It isn't working much this time around with the depression but is still helping the nerve pain.
    Anything is worth a shot I would weigh all the options that the doctor gives you before you agree to something.
    As far as going through this alone you aren't we are all here going through it with you. We all feel alone at some point.
    I know exactly how you feel right now.
  • I would have to agree, with you dealing with losing your dad, along with taking them meds, it all just caught up to you.

Sheryl, thats what my PM is thinking also. All the meds but he specified the chantix.
    I told them i only took the chantix for 5 days, and then quit cold turkey after that, but they wont do anything until i see them in person, and that is 11/08.

So just need to handle it, and see what happens next week.

O and Alex the part about Mary in her bikini <:P ;) >:D< 8}
  • Hey Jim,
    I see Alex is volunteering my body once again. I will have to read few times a day to keep up with him.

Please don't ever feel you are alone, you may have nobody around you at home, but you have all of us.

And we really don't live so far apart, you should meet up with Alex, really he may joke alot but i have met him and he's big teddy bear.
    In a thong of course so that may just send you over the edge.
    Really tho if you ever need someone to talk to we are here for you.
    I get days into wks I get so very down on myself and I just distance myself from my family I don't want them to see me in pain or crying.
    Call your primary doc today and tell them you really need to talk to someone so you can get on the meds if you need to.
    And believe me I would depress you more in a bikini.
    neck,bone spurs pain started 04, back issues and fusion l4,l5 06~hardware removed.
    good few yrs. 09 pain sharp, numbness feet,legs, diagnosed fibro, neurop. legs.lung issues.
    daily goal do good thing for someone.
  • I haven't been very good at keeping up on posts here, so thought I'd check in.

I hope you've been able to see your doctor by now and get some help. Something else that is very worthwhile, if you have the financial ability, is some counselling. Dealing with chronic pain is bad enough, but when you start grieving over the loss of who you were, what you used to be able to do, etc., it compounds the anxiety and the stress. I think we've all been where you are, at one point or another. The fact that you recognize you need help is great - I hope things are better for you this week.

• Mary;Sheryl; Tracy;
    i dont think it so much being alone, as my daughter lives with me, and my son and future dil, are 15 minutes up the road.
    Its more just being completely over-whelmed(sp), with too much at once, and trying to cope and make all the right decisions on my own,
    Knowing that if i make a wrong choice, it could make things even worse, i feel like i'm constantly walking on eggshells.

When we were a family, i always said that if anyone of us were hurt or in trouble, it affected us all.
    And now i feel like at anytime i could make a wrong choice and completely ruin what is left of my family and sanity.

And to top it off try to maintain, your lives when 1/2 of my paycheck from work is going to my ex for alimony.
    My son and daughter told me last weekend, they think their mom is bi-polar, which dont surprise me with what she has done to us.
    Hell that will give her more reason to collect from me. The state will not wanna support her, so they will make me continue supporting her.

I seen my PM today, and he doesnt want to put me on cymbalta until after my next surgery, so he will just be replacing the neurotin, with cymbalta.

Sorry for ramblin.
    Have a nice day.
  • lol ... I ramble all the time :) Makes me feel better. I think many of us mean alone not by physically being alone but emotionally I guess I always have someone with me lucky me ::- but often feel alone, because no one is feeling what I feel.
    You have a lot to deal with right now and quitting smoking on top of it and you are doing an awesome job ...
    Oh believe you they will make you pay instead of having to pay for someone with an illness ...I went after my x husband for child support his gf took him got him diagnosed with Bipolar blah blah and at the hearing they said you make more money then him he is ill and you get nothing funny his ill butt worked 70 hours a week at one point until I finished nursing school and he expected me to take care of him which I stupidly did.
    So he never paid a dime of child support and when it was his Christmas to have the kids I had to buy they presents.
    I had to provide gas money for visitation and so on... lol
    Did that from the time of our divorce 2004 til this year, when he died. Yet he was remarried.
    I am sorry for all the things falling on you at once, but hey thats how it works wouldn't be life if everything didnt come falling on your head..
    When is you surgery? DId you have your nicotine test ?? I am excited for you to get better
    Have a great day
  • Hi; and thanks.

Sad the way people work the system, and the laws are set up to let them do that.
    The politicans did it that way to protect themselves, and their friends,
    I'm probably gonna get screwed some more. I'm always gonna have my ex's cheating ways haunting me.

I took the pee test, and the results are negative, which i already knew they would be.
    So now the rest is up to w/c, i've done everything i needed to, so now their turn to approve this 2nd surgery.

Now just waiting on them, and still dealing with damn ex, with more money issues.

My best to ya.
  • Cheating spouses are everywhere believe me I had one and a couple boyfriends. I was lucky though none worked alot to give me anything so I just left everything and said good bye .. See your kids when you want.
    Oh our good friend w/c... they are the slowest agency I have ever seen. At least on my end. I finally got a reimbursement check for mileage that I submitted in Sept lol . I hope they come through soon to get you feeling physically better. I will pray for you on that.
    I was told the other day I have to wear the bone growth stimulator for a year :( and see if anything grows ( which everyone really already knows it won't) then think about surgery for the third time. All I do is cry, let them try to have a cage in their spinal canal and screws pinching everytime you move and live with it for a year, anyway oh poor me I know many have it much worse.
    I hope you hear from w/c soon and do not be afraid believe me to call the insurance company yourself and bug them thats what I do when I need them to get me something and it usually works.
    Take care have a great day.
  • Good to hear you quit! I hope wc approve this surgery soon for you. It's not fair you have to pay half for your wife and hope you have a good lawyer. Vent away anytime and hoping to hear of your surgery date. Prayers still and hugs. Charry
    DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN
  • Sheryl; How in the heck to they expect you to wear that thing for a year. thats nuts.
    I have a lawyer for my w/c case, so i cant call w/c. All communication between them and me, goes thru the doctor or lawyer.

Charry; Thank you.
    I'm gonna try to get this alimony stopped, but all these lawyers for divorce want at least $1000 dollars before they start doing anything and i dont have it.
    Cant afford to keep paying alimony and should'nt have to pay it. And cant afford a lawyer to get it stopped.

Gotta figure something out!

My best to ya.