Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

txkngfishttxkngfish Posts: 3
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:57 AM in New Member Introductions
Hello All,

My name is James and have been fighting back pain for many years now. Been through the epidural injections, chiropractors and a few other treatments. Got my latest MRI done last month and now the doctor has put me in for fusion surgery of L-5. I have Degenerative Disk disease as well as what they call a pars defect. My L-5 vertebrate has shifted a lot now which is pinching my nerves to my legs and spinal cord. So as all know what type pain that is. I found your site wanting to talk to others about this type surgery and how I'm wondering as well scared will this help with pain and agony or make it worse. With 4 new grand kids in the last 2 years and being a active fisherman. Will I still be able to play the grandpa and take them fishing or be kept down from this type surgery. Glad I found this site and joined and will be reading all the forums and asking help at times. As I try to cope and figure out my next step.

Thanks all for your help and encouraging words.

• i myself require a fusion {ALIF} at 3 levels this dec so i can understand your fear .i will tell you what my consultant told me ..its a risky operation and should take around 7 hours .recovery ..to go home anyhting from 4/14 days but the worst thing is no one can predict the length of time to full recovery {in my car around 3 years} but even worse no one can see pain so even if your fusion is textbook you still may be in pain ..many don't realise that the fusion is wont to stabilise the spine and any pain relief is a bonus ..its wrongly assumed that a fusion is done to reduce pain .that's from my consultant ..one of the uk top men .i wish you luck with it ..if you want some advice on thing to purchase before you go in to hospital then please contact me via the PM system
    1997 laminectomy
    2007 repeat laminectomy and discectomy L4/L5
    2011 ALIF {L4/L5/S1}
    2012 ? bowel problems .still under investigation
    2014 bladder operation may 19th 2014
  • So far I feel like i'm been yoyoed around for years. Most docs didnt believe me on how much pain and suffering i was going through. So never had relief with pain as most got. One doc did give me muscle relaxers which helped with some of the muscle spasms. My doc says she cant prescribe them, so sent to neuroligist after mri. She said setting me up for surgery and that was all i got from her. But to get pain relief had to go back to my doctor. Still a month till that visit. Saw the neuro surgeon last friday and he actually showed me the mri and explained more in detail than any doc for 30 years never did. As for the surgery said all they wanted to do is put two rods and screws but didnt hear anything else on any other fusion part. So not sure now after all i have been reading. Then he said 4 days hospital, walking by day 4, 2 weeks at home and then back to work at my office doing my office work. Healed and done in 4 to 6 months. I'm kinda wondering now on that schedule. Finally to help with the depression and my lack of sleep, took psychirist to get me on antidepressants wheich helped greatly and now sleep about 8 hrs compared to 2 a night.
  • I am sure a fusion will not stop you from being able to fish further and take the kids fishing,
    Hopefully they can get the pressure off the nerve and it can heal without nerve damage so your pain will be gone all together,

You fish for kings ? Is that why the screen name? Buddy had charter boat here in lake michigan and we did a lot of king salmon fishing,

I had failed back surgery along with some nerve damage at my l4l5 from artificial disc replacement, so it was a bitch pulling in the larger king salmons to the boat,

Good luck, i am sure you will do fine,
    Flexicore ADR 2004 resulting nerve damage l4l5 Fusion 2006 same level, 2009 hardware removal with lami !
    2012 scs implant ,
  • Good luck with your decision!

I have both neck and back problems but have not had surgery to date. Tried I guess everything else.

Just wanted to let you know I have a friend who comes fishing at my place every year and 2 summers ago he had a fusion with rods, screws and a cage(not sure the levels,sorry.) He is still fishing for crappies and walleye but does need to rest in the afternoon between outings after a day of so much sitting. Sitting is a toughie for many of us. Don't give up your favorite things. I no longer can cast but can manage some crawler fishing on occasion.

• Got my MRI looked at by another doctor and feel better informed now. The fusion will be S1 to L5 since thats the bad spot I guess they call it a level 1 fusion. After all I have read here and other places, I'm hoping I can get the less invasive surgery with least recovery time. This website has been a major help for me and with all the reading I feel more comfortable knowing more now than I did.

SO I'll loose a little mobility which I already have but be able to do things I hope haven't done in a long while and be somewhat pain free.

Alex yep fish for kingfish which is part of my name.