Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Burning sensation in back

Existence19EExistence19 Posts: 19
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:57 AM in Recovering from Surgery
I had a microD l4-5 l5s1 3 months back. Everything is good and my recovery has been excellent. Since the last couple of days I am having a burning sensation in my back around the surgery area. The sensation comes and goes. But I'm afraid. This is the sensation I had preop which led to my back pains and I'm afraid if this could lead to back pain again.

I exercise regularly. Have no pain in leg or anything. Just 10 percent numbness is left which the doctor said will go over 6 months.

Currently I'm not taking lyrica or any pain meds. I stopped a week ago as soon as 3 months of the surgery were over.

Please help me. Anyone feeling the same way. Any suggestions to overcome it?

• Hi there,

It is good to hear your surgery recovery is going well.

I had a cervical fusion on June 23, and it is interesting how you mention you get the feeling (the burning) you did right before a flare would start and then it would go away without going into a bad pain flare. It's scary isn't it!?

I have the same thing with the muscle spasm in my shoulder and the burning in my neck and shoulder. I think it is a normal part of healing and the nerves regenerating.

If you are in pain and still need to take pain meds then do so. Don't put a time limit on your healing. I am 4 months post op and I don't take pain meds 24/7 (Except muscle relaxers), I do take them once every few days when I am getting into that scary pre flare up feeling. I just hope it never actually goes into a flare up.

I think it will just take time to overcome.
    ACDF C4-5 June 23rd, 2011

Another surgery in the near future. I am 26 years old.

Current Meds- Norco 7.5/325, Cymbalta 60mg, Gabapentin, Adderall 20mg