Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

need some advice

MandaMManda Posts: 3
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:57 AM in Degenerative Disc Disease
I have had low back pain since I was 16. When my son was born in 2005, he was caught on my hip which has given me SI problems ever since. The doctors said the joint was dislocated and sent me to PT which caused my low back to inflame badly. A MRI was done and I was told at the time not to expect any relief although I was not told why. I have been referred to psychologists and pain docs. I found out 2 years ago that it was degenerative disk disease. I was told at that time it was at a level 5, but to expect it to continue. Now, that same doctor has decided its because I am "grossly overweight". I am 5'7" and weight around 200 lbs, so no I am not very thin, but to loose the 90 pounds he told me to, I would look sick. Getting back to the point, the pain has been progressivley moving up into my thoratic and cervical areas, and much more numbness and tingling, with what feels like electroshock in the middle of the night. I have not slept a full night because if it, and the dr i was seeing told me yoga or spinal fusion were my options. Any advice would be great! Where do I go from here? How does a person get a dr to just listen?

• I guess I should have included the important parts. I am 27 now, and have been dealing with serious pain for 6 years. The degeneration is in L5 and below. That was the diagnosis 2 years ago going from a MRI from 6 years ago. I have been to many docs, and get either here's some drugs or my favorite "we cant help you". I walk into a docs office and ask for help and get " i can refer you to a pain doc/psychologist". I am not depressed, I am fed up.
  • 5'7 and 110 lbs! Time for a new doc! Seriously! I could see maybe 135-160 but no way near 110. Crazy!
    ACDF C4-5 June 23rd, 2011

Another surgery in the near future. I am 26 years old.

Current Meds- Norco 7.5/325, Cymbalta 60mg, Gabapentin, Adderall 20mg
  • Welcome to Spine Health. You can use the search button at the top to research degenerative disk disease (DDD). Pretty much every one has some form of DDD. It's a condition that starts to set in during our twenties. Some people will have symptoms and some won't. Please don't take what I'm saying wrong, but is it possible you doctor is listening and giving you somethings to try. What have you done to strengthen your back? 90 lbs sounds pretty extreme at your height, but shedding some of those extra pounds can't hurt to take the stress off your body. Fusion surgery is a life changing procedure and at 27, if there was a way to avoid it, I would. Has your doctor suggested physical therapy so you can learn an appropriate exercise routine that would help strengthen your back and avoid further injury? I hope you can find something that will provide you some relief.

• I have tried 9 different rounds of PT from 4 different institutions. PT made things worse in ways, but did help me deal with the SI joint pain. I have been working at the local swim center for strength training in the water to reduce friction and shocks to my spine. The main problem I am having is some days my back is so stiff and sore I cannot function alone. I suppose I didnt ask the right questions here. My apologies. What I am looking for advice on is what other people have found to help with the pain and stiffness. Also, if anyone has had the feeling of being shocked between the shoulder blades, and what may possibly help with that. I am worried about that mainly because when it happens, the weakness in my legs is frightening.