Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Surgery planned

lab592010llab592010 Posts: 2
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:57 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
Hi everyone,

I've spent the past few days reading all of your posts on having neck surgery. I'm going in to have a spine fusion done on 8th November 2011 - C4-5 & C6-7.

My problems started when I was 9 yrs old. I dived into a pool and hit the bottom !!! Many years later (I'm 52) I'm finally at the stage of constant neck pain, weakness and pain in my left arm and unable to work.

I live alone and I'm getting a bit worried about managing on my own when I come home from hospital. I also have two small dogs that are going into boarding whilst I'm in hospital and I'm not sure if I should have them back with me when I come home or not? Any suggestions would be appreciated.

I'm scared about this surgery but I'm excited too, I can't wait to be able to do things again.

Leonie xxxxx

• First let me say welcome to spine-health. Everyone is different on healing and how they do post surgery. I can say that I came home from the hospital and too live alone and did just fine by myself. I also have one large dog, and was able to still feed her and let her out. Talk to your surgeon, about it, as most of the time they don't want you lying around anyway and want you to move about. I also had used my hip bone, so actually most of the issues were from that incision.

What I found was key was to everything setup prior to leaving for the hospital, so when you returned you were ready to recovery. For example for your dogs you could get the automatic food dispensers if your unable to bend down. Also putting things like milk in half gallon containers does help. I also had a bunch of pre made foods all made up so heat go was all I did. Some don't feel like swallowing so have ice cream, jello and soft foods on hand as well. Depending on your surgeon you might not beable to drive those first few weeks so you want to have someone whom could run a errand for you, but also have enough stuff in case you don't. I prepared for the worst so as far as me being home it was easy. I had set everything up in my living room, laptop, paper, pens, magazines, remote control, bendy straws, throat lozenges, cooler and so forth. So basically all i had to do was come in and plop down and bam all right in front of me.

Another thing to your recovery is a walking program. Talk to your surgeon about it, you can also google them and come up with one that is measurable and easy to obtain. There is a thread in the surgery forum, of things for post op, at the top of the page. While not all of things will you need, some will be helpful.

Just thought I would stop by and welcome you to spine-health. If i can be of any asistance, don't hesitate to pm me. Take care and keep us posted.