Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

2 months post discectomy/laminectomy L3-4

leftcoastleftylleftcoastlefty Posts: 3
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:57 AM in Recovering from Surgery
I'm doing pretty well 2 months after my surgery. My main issue in pain in my left leg just below the knee. It gets worse from too much sitting. I'm off major painkillers, taking 1800 mg Neurontin and 2400 mg Motrin daily. Sometimes the pain keeps me awake at night, and I'll take an Ambien.

At what point should I be worried about the pain? I am very active and I'm afraid I'm overdoing it. The problem is that the pain goes away when I walk strenuously. I've been told that is the endorphins kicking in. They tell me to stay active but not to overdo it. Some days I think it's getting worse, sometimes it seems to be better. Overall, it's still worse than before the surgery. Should I just wait it out a few more months before seeking help?

• j.howiejj.howie Brentwood, Ca., USAPosts: 1,730
    Welcome to S.H. forums. The best advise I can give you. Is listen to you body. And don't push it or over do.
    Click my name to see my Medical history
    You get what you get, not what you deserve......I stole that from Susan (rip)
    Today is yours to embrace........ for tomorrow, who knows what might be starring you in the face!
  • Yup, I'm with Jim! Listening to your body is the single best advice, one that is really hard for me to do!

Pain is your body's way of letting you know that things aren't right or that you need to back down. Especially if you are hurting after you have been walking or stretching and it lasts the next day or two.

I don't think it is the distance you walk but more the frequency of walking and keeping sitting at a minimum.

Good luck in your recovery! Be sure to let us know how you are doing!

• I just had an MRI, and the surgery worked! My surgeon said that in my case it is common for the pain to take 8 months or more to go away.
    I have gotten almost all of my strength back. Sitting is still an issue, driving an hour always leads to pain, even in the other leg. I upped the Neurontin to 2700 mg a day, which seems to help. Hard to tell if its that or the Motrin which is doing the most to help.
    As long as the surgery worked, I'm happy to deal with the pain for awhile. Until the MRI I had a nagging feeling that it was re-herniated.
  • What did you actually have done? And how can you tell it was a success from an MRI. Is it not the level of relief from the pain that determines the degree of success of procedure? I had a revision at L4-L5 October 25th, and have pain in the hip and lower leg on left side. Like you sitting is still an issue. An hour in the car is pushing it. It is more tolerable in the morning, but after working all day and then commuting back home an hour it is pushing it, and I am in pain by the time I get home. At least that was the experience this evening.

My question is regarding your doctors comment of 8 months before you fully heal from your procedure. Did he have any empirical data to substantiate your symptom and experience with pain and predicted healing time?

Also, I am taking 2 Aleve per day and only take Norco when needed. Tonight I needed it. When did your doctor put you on nurontin and how long do you expect to be on it?