Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement
advertisement
Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

What pill do you, or have you used to help you sleep

davidmddavidm Posts: 32
edited 06/11/2012 - 7:57 AM in Sleep Problems
Before I had all my pain, and problems problems, like I do now, I had problems sleeping I was up to 300mg of Trazodone a night. I didn't like it, it made my heart beat very fast. I will not take it again. I also tried Lunesta, which worked okay except It left a metal taste in my mouth for about 12 hours or so.

I have a very high tolerance to medication.

I am currently taking Ambien 10mg 1 a night, and it really doesn't do anything. I haven't taken it in a few nights.

What do you use for sleep? How does it work?

I have problems both falling asleep and staying asleep.

Has anyone tried Ambien CR? OR? I'm open to suggestions, on things to try.

I have tried over the counter sleep aids and they don't work on me.

I'm seeing my PA this Thursday, and would like to have some idea's to suggest to him, on what to try.

If you could give me your opinion/ experience I would really appreciate it.
advertisement

Comments

• I also meant to say that if I get 4 hours of sleep a night it's a lot. Most of the time I get 4 hours of sleep a day, and around the 4th or 5th day of being so tired, I almost pass out and sleep for about 8 hours or so. I know I'm not getting enough sleep.
  • But I also suffer the 4 hour syndrome. Even with the pills, I most ofter sleep only 4 hours max, then I'm back to the computer on SH.
    Gary
  • many of us on here get very little sleep due to our pain ..since my last operation years ago {5} i have only had 2 hours per night and that's with medication temazepam 20/30 mg a night ..then the pain wins and wakes me ..if its pain that's waking you up then is doubtful than any sleeping meds will be of any real help .getting as comfy as possible like using memory foam pillows {one for your head a shaped one and good make is worth every penny and a generic one like a normal shape pillow can help if you put in between your knees .
    tony{UK}
    1997 laminectomy
    2007 repeat laminectomy and discectomy L4/L5
    2011 ALIF {L4/L5/S1}
    2012 ? bowel problems .still under investigation
    2014 bladder operation may 19th 2014
  • Like the others, a "good night's sleep" for me is 4 hours on average, but there are nights I sneak a wee bit more in. Ambien (don't call the dose) and I seem to get along so far. Chta again soon.

Brenda
    PCTF C4 - T2, Laminectomies C5, C6 & C7. Severe Palsy left arm/hand.
  • I personaly dont like the idea of having to take meds for sleep,

Its bad enough we have to take them for pain, muscle spazms and many other reasons,

Pain can alter a persons life, pain all day might force us to take naps during the day which will cause sleep issues at nite, been there done that,

Lack of sleep always made my condition worse, Hardest thing was to force myself to stay away from taking a nap during the daytime hours and forcing myself to do more activity no mater how bad the pain might be,

When you force yourself to the limit each day, especialy outdoor activity of any kind in the fresh air, by the end of the day 10 pm or by 11 pm i crash and get some sleep just to do it again the next day,

Its not easy to do this for anyone in chronic pain, and i of course sit or lay down during the day many times but not for very long, and fight the naping feeling,

Unless you had sleep issues even before your pain issues then the lack of activity might explain it,

Once we are out of work and our body cant tell if its day or nite because every day is the same fighting the same old pain.

I think with some of us we have to adjust our life even if we cant work back to doing any kind of activity just as to when we had to work all day and sleep at nite,

Only time i dont hurt is when i am sleeping, without burning up every ounce of energy in me during the day doing whatever, even if i have to crawl around on my knees picking up bread crums untill i pass out,

I just dont know if relying on medication is the best answer for everyone even for sleep,
    If its from lack of activity posibly, i dont know,
    Flexicore ADR 2004 resulting nerve damage l4l5 Fusion 2006 same level, 2009 hardware removal with lami !
    2012 scs implant ,
  • Like the others, a "good night's sleep" for me is 4 hours on average, but there are nights I sneak a wee bit more in. Ambien (don't recall the dose) and I seem to get along so far. Chat again soon.

Brenda
    PCTF C4 - T2, Laminectomies C5, C6 & C7. Severe Palsy left arm/hand.
  • I'm also in the 4-5 hours of sleep club. Sometimes more, sometimes less, yet rarely wake refreshed.
    Sleep meds usually leave you feeling dopey, and may not lead to proper deep sleep.
    I'm using melatonin each night, and keep up with my pain killers.
    Waking after just a few hours is very common as we age, and getting a full 8 hours or so is just not going to happen.
    You can get by on much less, and if you really need to sleep you will.
  • My old pm doc had prescribed me Ambien about a year ago, and it was fantastic! I actually slept for 6 to 8 hrs rather than the 2 to 4 I get without it. But you really do need a half hour to an hour when you wake up to "get going" because it leaves you a little groggy, and for me at least, xtremely grumpy.

I'm actually going to ask new pm doc to put me back on it, cause this no sleep crapola on top of being in pain is not cool.
  • magnesium can also be used with melatonin to make up some natural supplements for sleep.. be sure and speak to your doctor or pharmacist before using.. i use music to help me doze off at night for a few hours.. it really helps me to relax and deal with my pain!! good luck to you! Jenny :)
  • I know exactly what you mean. I usually get about 3 hours per night and traditional sleep meds do nothing for the insomnia.

Right now, in addition to Morphine, Ibuprofen, and Flexeril, I am taking 1 mg of Ativan at night to help me sleep. It seems to work well and has upped my sleeping time to 4 or 5 hours. (I should note that any longer than 6 hours in a bed will leave me in excruciating pain and unable to walk for a few days, so this works for me).

Of course, it seems like any meds we take to help us sleep *seem* to work for a little while and then stop, then we have to find something else that will help.

Although I am not in a position to do it right now, I have found in the past that a regular sleeping routine that is relaxing and stress-free helps me the most. I also try not to eat or drink anything within 3 hours of my bedtime, except a sip of water to take meds.

The biggest problem I am having right now is that I cannot stay awake during the day and often have to force myself to stay awake even to drive! It is very scary and, when I do doze off during the day, it is not a restful nap. In fact, I have many times been dreaming but awake at the same time, even watching the same TV show as my family. I feel paralyzed and become scared because I cannot wake up or move. Finally, with a great effort, I am able to wake myself up.

Does anybody else do this? And is it normal with chronic insomnia like we have?
  • 3 hours here..then up wandering the halls. Before bed I take my Dilaudid (8mg), Flexeril, Ibuprofen and Ativan (2mg. To be honest I am not sure the Ativan works but what I CAN tell you, when I tried to remove it from my meds I was climbing the walls :( Even before my back/neck issues started I was taking sleep aids. I have tried alot out there and alot of them actually make my anxiety/panic worse. The ativan does mellow you out, I'm sure if my hip wasn't killing and my lower back wasn't throbbing I wouldn't wake up but then I have the snoring beast beside me to make certain I am woke up atleast once or twice because of him (even with earplugs)
    Just curious, when you take your sleep meds do you climb in bed right away? Watch tv, pc? It sounds super cheesy but maybe if you get into a routine (I'm sure you already are..I'm just thowing this out there) of trying to mentally slow down about an hour before bed..have a nice shower, read a book..calming things you know? Watching tv doesn't help you to slow down and the pc is terrible!!
    I think everyone on this site unfortunately knows all about not sleeping and how crappy it makes you feel and ..for me my pain levels go through the roof if I have a 4 day stretch of this 3 hour bologna. (I have 2 toddlers at home..and a 13 yr old..) So I don't get to rest after a night of watching the paint on the walls ;)
    I hope you get something figured out. Fell free to pm me..I'm on here a lot when I can't sleep ;)
    Take care..and sweet dreams ;)
  • Hi. are sleeping pills really helpful in order to get a really good sleep at night?
    If it works for anyone here then I think I should also try this for me to be able to sleep properly.
    Thank you.
  • Short term only, not a permanent thing.
    They don't give you proper restorative sleep, and there will be side effects.
    Can be very addictive and you get used to them so the dosage must be increased.
    You get groggy upon waking, then you can't snap out of it and get going the next day, so you need a pick me up, and off you go......on the downward spiral.
    Might be OK to give you a bot of a break, but what can you do to find out just what the problem is?
    Some ideas: t stress, tension, diet, health problems, partner disturbance, pain, bedding, noise, medications.
  • I don't take seep pill.It's dangerous to help.
  • Do you have trouble sleeping because youre in pain?
  • I know this was originally posted in Octoner 2011 but it looks like it was brought out zingalon. Anyway, I read the thread and didn't see anyone using unison or the generic doxylamine succinate. I have been using this for years and it still works. It is not like the others that contain diphenhydramine. It actually has a great sedative effect. I take it about 45min-1 hr before bedtime.

I did some research and understand that it can also be taken for allergies and the main ingredient is the sedative that is in NyQuil. I would love to know if anyone else uses this or if you go out and try it and let me know if it works for you. It can be found at Walmart and even the dollar stores sometimes. Just make sure it says doxylamine succinate as the main ingredient.
    Tracy,

Grade 4 tear in l4/l5 was missed in first MRI so did injections for a year
    SI joints "messed up" not sure if I will get them fused at a later time
    Had Open PLIF L4/L5 5/28/13
    Woke up to permanent nerve damage in legs and feet.
  • With long term side effect of sleeping pills :O, I have switched to use herbal sleeping products :) to help overcome my sleep issues. I have been using California Poppy to help treat my insomnia problem and it has given me good results. Has any one else tried it apart from regular sleeping pills?
  • this is my natural sleep cocktail....

two bags of sleepytime tea in half a cup of boiled milk,

200mg of magnesium citrate,

3mg of melatonin,

most nights i wake up after about four hourse of sleep,

if i can`t fall back asleep i get up and drink some sleepytime tea with water that i have in reserve,

this tea has some magnesium chloride,

it helps me relax and in about an hour i fall back asleep,

i normally go to bed at 9:30 and hope for the best,

i try to get at least 8 hours of sleep....

most of it interrupted i should add,

the key to good sleep is in the gard diet,

90% of serotonin which is the precurser to melatonin is manufactured in the digestive tract,

the gard diet helps your digestive tract go back to normal,

many people have an impaired digestive system,

that is the main reason we have trouble sleeping,

meds destroy your digestive system...do the math!

Live to Pray
advertisement