Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Leg pain

TraciTTraci Posts: 92
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:57 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
Okay, so I went back to the Dr. yesterday. I had a triple fusion - lower lumbar- in Sept/10. On x-ray I have been fused completely since July/11. Seemed to improve but about 3.5 months ago seemed to decline. Increased pain in left leg - always the "bad" leg. Yesterday Dr. did a small test, he made me lay down and he lifted my leg and crossed it over the other leg (90 degrees) and sorta "pumped" the bent leg at the knee. When he did this it just set off the left leg for about 30 min. The kind of pain that if you told me someone could live thru it I would have laughed. Awful pain. He decided that I had SI joint pain and wants to do an injection. He (thankfully) increased the pain meds he gave me last month (5 perc) to at 7.5 percocet. Got a little sleep last night. yay. Now tell me what you think about this. I am on WC because of the back injury and did not think to ask if this is from the fusion or something new. He also stated that my lower back muscles are spasming and are very tight. Please tell me your thoughts or experiences. Don't hold back. I can take it. I am a big girl now. Thanks to everyone. Y'all have always come thru for me. Traci

• Hi Traci,

Maybe a pinched nerve???

I have the pain in my right leg where my foot goes numb and toes and knife in my left hip whenever I walk very far.

Yesterday after a long morning at Dr, I came home sat down to relax and got up and could not stand on my right leg at all felt like a knife in my hip causing my left hip to hurt even more, it eventually wore off and I could walk again, I just chalked it up to a pinched nerve.

I was fused at L2345 S1, and have failed surgery, all the hardware in my body has backed out, I had back screws removed and now I need front screws removed.

I am wondering if maybe your hardware isn't loose and maybe you haven't totally fused. I would have another MRI done cat scan or whatever, maybe another Dr to look at you. That is my current dilemma.

Whatever you do research before making any decisions, thats where I messed up!

• I am so sorry that you are in so much pain!

The test you described seems to be a pretty reliable test to indicate issues with the SI joints. I, too, have issues there, seems pretty common after years of spinal cord impairments.

I have had the SI injections many times and they have always given me much needed relief.

Wishing you the very best!

• Hi; and from what i'm reading into it, sounds like it all related to your back injury, and subsquent surgery.

And dont let anyone sway your opinion.

My best to ya.
  • From everything that I have read, it is very common to have SI joint problems after a lumbar fusion. My left SI joint causes me to have intense, extreme pain in the joint area, groin and leg pain as well. I did have one SI joint injection, which did not help my symptoms, but my Physical Therapist does work around that area, and does try to release my hip flexors, which does give me some temporary relief.

• Thanks for the info. I do think that it is connected to my initial injury but I appreciate you reminding me Mr. Jim. I really just need some relief. This pain thing gets old quick. I am not depressed but am sad because I look too far down the road when I should just take it day by day. I can handle one day for sure. I sure do appreciate all the replies.