Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement
advertisement

In this Discussion

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Wife, mother of 2, educator, facing fusion and replacement

199511995 Posts: 47
edited 06/11/2012 - 7:57 AM in New Member Introductions
So thankful the surgeon promoted the use of this site!

I'm looking for information, tips, suggestions, etc, from fellow members who have been through similar experiences!

I really do not know the reason for my first injury! My husband and I were laying tile in our bathroom and when I went to get up and take a break, I wasn't able to get up! my husband carried me to the bed screaming!

We went to the e.r. and they said I had 2 herniations and would need surgery! :-0

I had absolutely zero history of any spine issues. I was athletic all throughout school, and was actually preparing for a 1/2 marathon at the time if my injury!

After a long wait we got an appt to have a microdiscectomy at L4/L5 and L5/S1. That was surgery #1 3/2007. Walked out of surgery in excellent shape, did pt, did Awesome. On our way home from vacation in 7/2008 I suffered with severe pain in my neck, across left shoulder, behind left shoulder blade, down to left elbow, again no warning signs! 3/2009 Surgeon performed fusion at c5/6 and c6/7. recovery was tough , but overall a big success! Then in 9/09 when I went to stand from the chair I knew immediately I had reinjured the same lumbar levels. So lumbar surgery #2 microdiscectomy at l/4/5 and l5/s1 in 7/2010. Again! Recovered and felt awesome.....until the rush to start the school year for 2011-12! I was pushing around desks and computer equipment for 2 days and on the third morning, I was afraid I'd pushed it too far! Yep! Another problem at l4/5 and l5/s1. As the health of L3/4 is in question due to degeneration. Dr wants to do what's in my best interest but he has to wait for insurance companie's approval! Drs preference is replacing disc at L4/L5 and fusion at L5/S1. He says that will help extend the life of the level just above (L3/4). :S Can Someone who has been through a similiar situation offer som advice please? ...oh yeah, while I was walking, as a part of the pt for my back, my 1 yr old puppy (golden retriever) ran up from behind me and took both legs right out from under me. Got an MRI, asked surgeon what to do and he said, he'd look, but it would only further delay my back surgery ( which I don't want to delay). Thanks for any help!
2007 and 2010 L4-S1 Microdiscectomies; helped for a total of 3 years between the 2 of them.
08/2011....pain returned.
10/03/2012....back reconstruction L3-S1...large titanium "seperators" were put at each level with synthetic bone graft material.
advertisement

Comments

• Wanted to give you a big welcome to spine health. Glad that your surgeon recommended coming here. It has been the best for myself as I go through my journey.

I also had a discectomy/lami at L4-S1, only once though. It was unsuccessful and now they are recommending fusion or possible ADR(although I don't think I am a candidate for ADR)

There are other members on here who have had ADR, and hopefully they will pop in here, as well as some who have had it with a fusion.

Do you already have a date for your surgery?Did you receive multiple opinions regarding surgery from a fellowship trained orthopedic or neurosurgeon? You have been through alot in the last few years. Hope that you have a great recovery, solid fusion and that this will be your last spinal surgery.

>:D< Karen
    >:D< >:-D< : Karen
    L3-S1 herniation and bulges, stenosis, mod facet,ddd,impinged nerves,coccydinia
    discectomy/lami July 2011-unsuccessful
    adr L5-S1 Feb 2012