Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Considering laser therapy

mackinmmackin Posts: 4
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:57 AM in Alternative Treatments
I am considering laser therapy offered by a local chiropractor and am interested in hearing if anyone else has had experiences with it that they could share. I have a L5S1 herniated disc (abutment against a nerve) as well as a 8mm annular tear. Steroid shots and physical therapy haven't worked so I am currently (barely) managing pain with medication and looking for alternatives to major surgery.

I had an initial consultation with the chiropractor yesterday and the therapy seems pretty simple, they use a machine to do decompression and then treat the area of the disc with a cold laser for about 10 minutes. This would go on for about 3 session a week for 10 weeks. I am waiting to find out if my insurance will cover it and of course my major concern is will it be worth paying for myself if they won't. I was a little skeptical when they said it could heal the disc entirely and cure all of my back pain, because I had not heard such optimistic statements like that before. Even surgeons that I've talked with have said I will be in pain for the rest of my life with best results only reducing my current state by about 50%.

I would very much appreciate any advice anyone can offer. Thank you!

- Mac

• This post did not have any replies, but I saw that it had a lot of views, so I thought I would post a followup.

I received two free sessions of the mechanical decompression followed by a treatment from a LiteCure LCT-1000 laser. The laser treatment took about 15 minutes and I just sat in a massage chair while they moved it around my L5S1 area. It was pretty warm, although they said it is a cold laser and that the heat was actually being caused by the cells in my back becoming energized by the laser. I did feel some pain relief for a couple of hours following the session, but I could honestly not tell if was just from the decompression.

Now for the bad news, the doctor recommended 24 sessions to treat my condition and I could either pay a up-front discounted fee of approximately $5k or I could pay at each visit for a total of about $8k. They did advertise that they accept most insurance, but when I asked if my insurance would cover it, I was told that I was responsible for making the payment at each visit and then I would have to file the claim to be reimbursed by my insurance company myself. This sounded really odd to me, especially because I had already found that this doctor was in my insurance network. When I called my insurance company, I could not get a straight answer as to if this service was covered or not. When I told them this was a chiropractor in their network, they told me to be aware that massage was not covered. I told them this was laser therapy , and they just said that any treatment would be covered as long as it was medically necessary. I asked them if there was any way that I could pre-certify, and they told me that they couldn't do that for me. Since I cannot afford to pay for this completely out of my pocket, then I do not think that I will be able to get this therapy from this doctor. I may look for other doctors who offer this and who might be easier to work with through my insurance.

I hope someone might find this information helpful. I will probably post more info if I can find another place to receive cold laser therapy treatment.

• laser therapy treatments are painless and very effective. There's a new company profile out there. Looks interesting:

Standards agreement and posting rules
    Please note that Spine-Health reserves the right to edit any messages posted or submitted or e-mailed to the Company and use them for content on the website or in other company materials. No e-mail solicitation or advertising of other companies, products, services, health care facilities, web sites, or naming of health care professionals is permitted in the Spine-Health.com forums.

Post Edited by Moderator Numbskull