Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Lower back / leg pain

HKS RogueHHKS Rogue Posts: 11
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:57 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
Lately ive been having some pretty chronic lower back pain, and sometimes i get this extremely intense pain/warm feeling into my upper left leg. If i spend a day working bent over around the house, or working on a car or something, the following 1-2 days i can barely even walk.

im 8 months post op ACDF, and just recently started wearing my work boots again, im wondering if just adjusting back to the extra weight could cause some of this maybe?

im also still on-going with cervical problems and they found another disc problem at c5/6, so i dont want to bombard them with "oh hey now my lower back and leg hurt"

anyone have an opinion?

• I would definitely let your doctors know, especially if it is affecting you so much. Let them decide what is related to what and what should take priority.

I went in because my low back was hurting and I had pain down my leg. I've had neck pain for so long the new issues in my back and leg concerned me more. I talked about my low back & leg issues, but I also told him about my continuing neck pain and some newer pain down my arms. He told me I could start with some shots through pain management for the back and he walked me down the hall to be reviewed by a spine surgeon...resulting in my ACDF.

Now I'm having more follow up for my low back.

4 level ACDF C4-C7 5-2-11, laminectomy & discectomy L4-L5 1/26/12, ALIF L4-5, L5-S1 12/10/12.
  • thank you for the info, i think i will definatly bring it up now, the surgery and everything was just totally life changing for me, i was an athelete my entire childhood, all the way until my senior year in highschool i tore a rotator cuff, recovered from that and have still been in very good shape, since my surgery in february of this year though ive gained probably 40lbs and my entire body just feels different, so im just trying to figure out if i feel this way due to my body changing so much or what

thank you again for the input
  • I had the ACDF c456 7 years ago when I was pretty fat, had gastric bypass 5 yrs ago and dropped 111 lbs, and in the last three years I have been much more active. Having had auto accidents over the years caused low back pain (along with hard work and the extra weight) but in the last year I have started having some considerable low back pain plus nerve pain in the legs/gluts/foot etc. Discogram and MRI confirmed multiple destoryed discs at every lumbar level but L5/S1 was gone.
    a month ago today I had ALIF L5/S1 and the leg nerve pain was supposed to resolve. The back pain was simply a maybe improved byproduct with no guarantee of anything. Ironically, the back is 60-70% better but the right side lower extremity issues have actually gottne worse and now include swelling in the foot since surgery. It is terrible pain at times and I am losing faith that it will resolve the longer I am in recovery mode.
    Add to that the fact that I am a recovering addict who now has been on the norco pills for 6 months and you see my predicament.
    I am petrified that my life will now revolve around having to manage the pain with narcotics and the only gratitude I can find is that the back pain improved while the extremity got worse.
    I am sorry to share all this with you when youre down but the symptoms you describe lead me to the same path as mine, L level problems, and an MRI is in your future I bet.

Good luck. Let us know.
  • I just received a call and have an appointment with a neurosugeon monday, but that is related to a c4/5 disc osteophyte. i am definatly going to bring up my lower back pain issues with them.

Volvo, the leg pain you had, was is like in your upper thigh and around into your groin? when it hits me i get this very very sharp pain that starts in my lower back then creeps its way down around the front of my thigh and into my groin, and it feels warm, (almost like a peed myself, wierd i know)

the sharp thigh pain only last a few minutes at most, but during that time im almost incapacitated, then it goes away as quickly as it came
  • My pain is in my right glute almost where the thigh bone connects to the pelvis, down the outside of my right leg and calf, in my heel and along the right side of my right foot.

It sometimes is a shooting sharp pain, it almost always is a burning sensation, and sometimes it's the wet sensation you have too. Very weird because I will think I got wet and look for a spot but it's just the sensation. Also, my foot does actually swell up but whether it is actual or not, the perception/sensation is still there.

I have not had the groin pain at all.

It's frustrating because when the dr (same guy) did my ACDF it was immediate relief. This time it was immediate while on Diluadid at the hospital but fairly soon afterward the problems crept back up.