Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

A disc moving when touched? Also chronic neck pains

EskolasEEskolas Posts: 1
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:57 AM in Neck Pain: Cervical
I am a 25 year old male.

I've had a history waking up stiff and sore, starting earlier in my adult life (say 21 or so).

There have been two very uncomfortable occasions at work while bending very low to hoist up heavy items where a horrid sharp stinging pain occurs at around the C3/C4 mark I'd estimate.

These two occasions were separated by some years, as lifting very heavy objects is a rarity in my work routine.

But now I notice I have day long aches in the same disc area that 100% always migrate into a pretty intense headache if I don't chomp down ibuprofen like candy, but even then, the sensation of soreness and aching is still apparent, yet not "as" bothersome.

Now, I notice that there is a bulge, presumably a disc or disc part, that will shift left and right slightly to the touch at around the same C3/C4 area. This causes me no pain or immediate discomfort, yet is very disconcerting.

It is very hard and bone like and shares the characteristics of a protruding vertebrae or disc, and I've had it for years.

I mostly want to know if this is just mechanically sound and as how the human body should work. Perhaps its ok and I never noticed it? But if there shouldn't be any 'moving' or 'shifting' parts in my neck, directly on a disc location, should I be worried?

Many Thanks.

• I would suggest you speak with your doctor regarding all of this, or have you in the past? As far as disk, they are more jel filled and would be soft in nature, so who really knows what that is your felling, no one could say for certain. The best thing would be to have a x-ray and be checked out by your doctor, as to what is going on. Given the amount of time you have been dealing with this I would think a x-ray would be in order. Good luck and keep us posted.
  • It would not be the disc you are feeling. The disc is soft and jelly like. It is possible your vertebre has shifted. Maybe you could go see a doctor and get some x rays done. Usually if you have a herniated disc the pain is not localized in the one spot on your neck, it travels down your arm or into the shoulder blade. Also it is usually one sided.

I hope you get your pain figure out... Not knowing what it is is the worst feeling!
    ACDF C4-5 June 23rd, 2011

Another surgery in the near future. I am 26 years old.

Current Meds- Norco 7.5/325, Cymbalta 60mg, Gabapentin, Adderall 20mg
  • Hi everyone. I'm 65 years old and in debilitating chronic pain from morning to night. I have severe degenerative disk disease in all 7 levels of my neck and I find nothing works.I fell asleep with the tens machine on my neck and of coarse made my neck a hundred times worse. The disks are collapsing and pinching on the nerves and now because of the tens maching my muscles are in pain too.. I have hydro morp 1mg and it is broken up in quarters. I just now started trying to take it; The pill is so small that a quarter of a pill is almost non existant, smiles.. I am afraid to start new meditation. Perks dont work and I hoping that this will help. Has anyone got any advice for this problem..I am waiting to see a neck surgeon and I really don't think that I have the courage to go through with surgery; I wonder if a muscle relaxer would help after this tens machine irritated everything. Help someone !!!!!Darlene The only thing that helps in Doctor Ho's collar. I kind of helps keep my neck supported. I look like a space alien, LOL, but at this I really could care less..Email me at sunnygirl46@rogers.com
  • Hi Sunnygirl,

Sorry to hear about your pain. Make sure that you start a new thread instead of replying with a new subject when you ask a question. That way others will be able to answer your question and you won't jump in on someone elses. Not a big deal.

Sorry about the issue with your tens unit. I have never heard of anything like that happening. Maybe you were going to have a flare up anyway and it started around the time where you left the tens unit on all night.

Muscle relaxers help a lot. You just have to find the right one. Oftentimes they only help for a little while then stop working. I used Soma before my surgery and it helped a lot, but stopped working after a few months. Post op I used valium and that worked wonders but was only given a month supply because my doc felt it was addictive. Then they gave me flexeril which dried me out too much and finally now I'm on skelaxin which doesn't do anything it seems. It couldn't hurt to ask your doctor about one.

• oops