Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

L5-S1 fusion in the morning. 10-28-11

Rapp0378RRapp0378 Posts: 56
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:57 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
Well if anyone remembers reading my other post I just wanted to say tmrw is the day. I am here in Jacksonville at a crumy hotel, as I drove here from Tampa area, nervously awaiting the morning to come when I will be having a MIS tlif with one of the best doctors in Florida. Its been a long road and I hope this works. Ready for the excruciating pain to be gone. Thinking positive. I will keep everyone posted of my experience. Thanks for all the support along the way!

• Just want to wish you the best and tell you prayers are being sent your way. May your. Surgeons hands be strong, accurate and steady tomorrow. Try to keep calm tonight and get some sleep!! I just had fusion a week ago so we will be in recovery at the same time.

Best Regards
  • Will be keeping you, your loved ones and your medical team in my thoughts and prayers! Before you know it, the surgery will be over and you will be on your the other side!

Wishing you the very best! Looking forward to hearing from you when you feel up to posting!

Take care~Shari
  • I have been reading through posts about what to expect because I am having a L5-S1 fusion next week, so I thought we are in a similar boat. Best wishes for relief and a speedy recovery. No more pain!
  • I'm wishing you many prayers for your surgery!!! You'll be on the otherside tomorrow. Best of luck!!! Brenda C.
  • Prayers are coming your way for your surgery and a speedy recovery. I'm having L5-S1 on Monday.

Take care of yourself!

• Thinking about you this morning! I know that you weighed things between micro d again or fusion, and did your homework.

Now you just have to sit back and relax and let your surgeon do his thing. Then it will once again be in your hands for recovery.

We will be here for you, when you are ready, to cheer you on through recovery.

All the best
    >:D< >:-D< : Karen
    L3-S1 herniation and bulges, stenosis, mod facet,ddd,impinged nerves,coccydinia
    discectomy/lami July 2011-unsuccessful
    adr L5-S1 Feb 2012
  • I truly thank all of you for your kinds words. My surgeon who is absolutely amazing, said everything went great. He also said it was much worse then what the mri showed. Waking up was tough,(for an issue i will discuss later) but i was doing much better soon after that. Walked around a bit. Hope things stay on this path. I will fill in more details tmrw! Thanks again everyone.
  • Hugs to you my friend! I sent you a PM before I saw this post! I meant to get on yesterday as I was thinking about you but wasn't able to get online due to connection issues :(

I am SO very glad that all went well and you are feeling well enough to post! Big hugs to you my friend! Your in my prayers and thoughts <3
  • Terrific to hear that your surgery went well - don't know how you managed to post here so soon afterwards and go for a little walk around your room/ward.

Looking forward to the next update and hoping your pain is still being controlled well.

XLIF L2-4 20.8.15
    ALIF L4/5 2009
    Laminectomy/discectomy L4/5 2008
  • Kimberly,

You are too kind! Thank you so much for the support. Thinga went better then i thought and i just want you to know i can answer any questions you might have. I will post more tmrw and hopefully put up my first video here in the hospital. I was to darn nervous to make the pre-op video. lol You will be in my thoughts all the way up to the day of your surgery. Take care for now, relax and stay positive. You can get threw this.
  • Thanks so much Trish! Well i was in pretty good shape and i am rather young(26) but i really think the key factor to my being up and about so soon was because of my Doctor. He is absolutely terrific. I did alot of research and while being here got to speak to some of the staff. They are amazed at what he does. He has perfected the Minimally Invasive TLiF and has a very unique way of taking bone from my hip without causing to much pain. He is an artist that takes pride in what he does yet is humble and kind. I know we arent allowed to post names but anyone can send me a PM and i will give you the details. I live near Tampa but had the surgery in Jacksonville to get this particular Doc.

• Just be careful,I was really good for the first week or so,just because you feel good do not overdue it or it will cost you.Do not bend or twist.I thought because I felt so good I could do more but I found out the hard way.Glad to hear it went good.
  • Thank you for the advice, i am being extremely careful. I had a three hour drive home from the hospital sunday, that kind of set me back. Im definately trying my best not to bend, lift or twist. I do have a question maybe yourself or someone else can answer.... Did you sleep on your side at all during the recovery phase? Some of the nurses said it was fine as long as i put a pillow in between my legs. Ive tried it once or twice but it freaks me out because it does seem like i am twisting slightly to get on my side. Any thoughts? Thanks.
  • Yes Thats how I slept,before I slept on my stomach and Doc said no no,so I had to learn to sleep on side,and yes I was told to use Pillows,but now I dont and i just had a neck fusion now so im learning to sleep on my back.
  • I sleep mostly on my back but once a night I now allow myself to log roll to one side, with a pillow between my legs, and then once a night roll the other way.
    I waited about three or four weeks before I even attemoted sleeping in any position except my back and the first two weeks were with my head of the bed elevated significantly at first.
  • You are doing well! I had alif at l5s1. I am very sore, but getting by :) I couldnt see the pics at all that you posted?!
  • Ok, thanks for the reply. Im sorry to hear about your neck fusion. Im sure they already gave you advice on pillows for your neck... but i have a tempur-pedic pillow that i love. Maybe that would help you. I have trouble sleeping on my back as well. Hope you neck fusion is a success and wishing you a fast recovery.
  • Yes thats exactly what i do, i try and sleep on my back for as long as possible but then allow myself to roll on either side for about 20 min. Although i just had the surgery the 28th so maybe im doing this to soon. Thanks for the reply
  • Thank you! I am very sore today, the doctor's PA called and said the first two weeks will be the worse and I understand that. Im sorry to hear you are also sore, we just need to be positive and manage things as best we can. I hope you continue to improve and find relief soon.

Also, maybe i didnt post the Pic's correctly. I was bored in the hospital and kinda out of it. lol

I also made a youtube video and im going to try and do another one tonight. Maybe one a week. I found my surgeon from someone who made videos and they helped me out so much. If your curious just search Ryans spinal fusion on youtube and they should come up. Thanks for the reply and take care.
  • I had my ALIF the same day as your sugery. But you must be the dominant twin, as you are way more active in your recovery.

Are you home now?

I'm freaked out to sleep on my side, too. It does feel twisty.

congratulations on a successful surgery. I hope you have a strong fusion.

• Hi Ryan

I can't sleep comfortably on my back and especially since surgery, sleep on my side/s. Sometimes I can cope with a pillow between my legs, other times it's totally uncomfortable. If you're ok on your back, then go with it. Straight after surgery, I found they'd put me on my back, so perhaps that's the best way to sleep.

Happy dreams !

XLIF L2-4 20.8.15
    ALIF L4/5 2009
    Laminectomy/discectomy L4/5 2008