Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

MIS TLIF done yesterday. so far so good

Rapp0378RRapp0378 Posts: 56
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:57 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
Hey everyone, i dont know if i should have started this new thread or just kept it my other one?

Anyway, so i had my MIS TLIF done yesterday. Went in at noon and got out about 4pm. For some reason the hospital was completely out of pain pumps. So i woke up without one. They did finally give me meds threw the IV but it was rather painful. After the pump came things began to improve. I was walking around the same night. They took me off the IV meds this a.m and i am just on oral meds. They gave me the option of leaving today but i decided to stay mainly because i have a three hour drive. And the pain started to get a little worse just on the orals. Nothing to bad though. Also i told everyone i would make some videos to post on youtube. I guess i cant posts links on here but if you search for Ryan's spinal fusion (mis tlif) you should be able to find them. I hope they can be of help for people. I will keep them coming as my recovery progresses.

Also, i just want to say agian how great my surgeon is at doing this paticualr procedure. He has it perfected. I will give details if anyone wants to know. He is in Florida.

Thats it for now, still wishing you all relief and comfort heading your way.

• Just thought id give a quick update. Today is 10/31/11. MIS TLIF done 10/28/11. I left the hospital sunday, the three hour drive was kinda tough. They gave me alot of meds before i left that really knocked me out. So i slept most of the way home. However, being in such a coma i dont think i was completely aware of how i was sitting. So i may have aggravated things a little more had i been awake and able to shift about. Whos knows. The pain is different and a little worse then in the hospital because im just on oral meds. Taking oxycodone 1 ever 4 hours, sometimes 2 if its really bad before i go to sleep. And usually just one diazepam a day for spasm's. They gave me a nice brace and Ten's unit. I dont wear the brace all to much yet, i will save that for when i start walking outside. The Ten's unit seems to help but its hard to tell. Still having some slight nerve pain down in my foot but im sure thats from the prior damage and will go away eventually. I will be posting more youtube videos to show my progress and to help anyone wondering what its like. Overall i really think the MIS TLIF is the way to go. Thats it for now, take care everyone and again thanks for all the support.
  • I watched your videos on You Tube. I hope you heal completely from the surgery. I went and watched the video of the guy eating the scorpion and almost freaked right out! I didn't even know they have scorpions in Florida. Well anyway I hope you get better and no plans on getting back to work too soon. Take care. Charry
    DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN
  • I bet you're glad to be back home. As Charry said, don't be in a hurry to get back to work - there's lots of healing to take place over the coming months.

The oral meds I was sent home with were Oxycodone for breakthrough pain every 4 hours, Oxycontin twice a day and Gabapentin (Neurontin) twice a day for the nerve pain. See how you go with what you've been given, but if you should need more pain meds as you start to become more active, don't hesitate to ask your doctor.

Going to have a look at your videos.

XLIF L2-4 20.8.15
    ALIF L4/5 2009
    Laminectomy/discectomy L4/5 2008
  • Welcome home and to the other side of surgery. I hope that you are able to get some pain relief with the oxycodone,diazepam and tens unit, but as Trish said, don't hesitate to call your doctor if you are experiencing too much pain.

I appreciate your videos, and taking the time to make them while you are going through surgery and recovery, they are great, really informative. I am awaiting a fusion, and until you mentioned it, I never thought to look on youtube for videos about recovery. I will definately be following your recovery on here and there, thank you for doing them.

Wishing you all the best in your recovery, pain relief and solid fusion.

gentle >:D<
    >:D< >:-D< : Karen
    L3-S1 herniation and bulges, stenosis, mod facet,ddd,impinged nerves,coccydinia
    discectomy/lami July 2011-unsuccessful
    adr L5-S1 Feb 2012
  • wishing you a great recovery! I am also in FL and had a TLIF, but not MI.
    haven't gone out to see your videos yet but I will. What kind of brace did they give you? I had a "turtle shell" and had to wear it 24/7 for 13 weeks.
    Take it nice and easy and stay ahead of the pain :)
  • Hey Charry, I totally forgot all about that scorpion video! lol I wasnt even sure it was posted to youtube, we made that at the fire dept some time ago. It was a crazy day. Anyway, thank you for the well wishes.
  • Hey Trish,

The pain meds ive been given seem to do the trick. My girlfriend really has to get on me about taking them. I hate the way they make me feel from a mental aspect. You know, all foggy and slow. When i first herniated my disc back in 08 i was really foolish and didnt take anything for months until i actually collapsed on the floor and couldnt get up. Dotors always used to look at me funny when i would see them for my back but not request pain meds. This time is different. I understand that i need them and i have been sticking to taking them before the pain gets out of hand. Well, thanks to my girlfriend that is. lol I will make sure that i speak up and request more if needed. And as far as returning back to work, i actually had to leave my job in March because at that time i couldnt physically preform the duties of being a firefighter and all the surgeons i saw basically told me that surgery wouldnt work and i would have to live with the pain. My goal is to try and get back as close as possible to what i was before the accident. But i will not be seeking another job in the Fire Service. It was very hard for me to accept but if i am able to be pain free i want to keep it that way.

Thanks for your reply, it feels great to be home!
  • Hey Karen,

Im so glad you found my video helpful. I found out about my surgeon from someone who also did videos and it helped me so much. So i said to myself im going to do the same thing and hopefully it will help others. You can search for his videos as well, they are very helpful. Search John's MIS TLIF and it should come up. If found his so helpful i actually spoke with him on the phone and used the same surgeon. And im sure glad i did!

I am going to make another one later this evening and put it up on youtube.

Thank you so much for your kind words. Do you have surgery scheduled as of now? If so what type of procedure are you looking into having?

In the mean time i hope you can find as much pain relief as possible and stay positive.
  • Thank you for wishing me a great recovery. Today has been tough. Really feel like ive been run over by a truck. lol Whole body hurts. But thats to be excpected. Im not sure what kind of brace i have. To be honest with you i have only worn it on the way home. They told me i dont have to sleep with it on, thats its more for when i start walking outside. I hope i have that correct. lol

I hope you continue to heal and find complete relief. Take care
  • I just finished watching 3 videos of your post-op fusion, I must say you did an amazing job speaking only 24 hours after it, I could tell you were on some pain meds but you were still VERY informative and I for one appreciate that. I am scheduled to have a TLIF on Nov 29th and admit I am still terrified, but reading post on here and you videos have somewhat calmed my nerves. I love that advice you gave about asking for some verset before the surgery...I know I have to check in at 11:20 am and as of now procedure is scheduled for 1:30 pm so I am most definitely going to ask for something. If I am not mistaken you had this at the L5 S1 level, correct? this is where my fusion will occur as well but unfortunately my Surgeon did not give me the option for minimally invasive? I plan to ask him that at my next pre op visit.. I am amazed that your corset goes all the way to your chest being that it is the last disc so I know what to expect there.. I only pray that I recover as well as you. I am 33 and actually first injured this disc 8 years ago when my daughter was 2 months old, walking down the stairs at home holding her and my foot slipped and I pretty much let myself go so not to drop or injure her and hit that part of my back, went through 4 years of physical therapy, tens units, heat pads, different medications (I am allergic to percocet and vicoden) and then the last 2 years of ESI's, trigger point injections, nerve blocks you name it...went to the races last month and have been in EXCRUCIATING pain ever since.. anyhow I will do everything I can to keep an update on my post op as well via here (I'm kinda shy for a you tube video ;) if there is ANYTHING else you can inform me of or advise please do..thank you and good luck on your continued post op success :)
  • Rn32mb

Thanks for all the compliments and im glad my videos were helpful. I am sorry to hear you are in pain and in this situation. To answer some of your questions...

Yes my surgery was at the L5-sl level. The brace i am wearing goes all the way up to my upper chest and down to my upper butt. Its purpose i believe is mainly to prevent you from moving in ways you aren't suppose to rather then act as a support for your entire spine.

So you asked if there is any other advice i could give you... Well yes there is. However i am not saying this scare you are make things more stressful or complicated for you, as i see you already have a surgery date scheduled for the 29th of this month. I am telling you this because i truly believe its a crucial aspect of a having a successful outcome.

Surgeon, Surgeon, Surgeon!! Make sure you have the absolute best surgeon you can find that is available to you. I was a fire fighter and avid fitness/athlete. I first herniated my disc dec of 08, had a microdiscectomy. It lasted for a year or two but eventually reherniated. Spinal fusion is a major surgery that requires alot of skill from a surgeon. I researched, researched and researched. Then i researched even more... Everything from types of procedures, clinical studies, the tools and hardware used.. Then when i would find a surgeon i would check background for any law suites ect.. Finally i discovered my surgeon after browsing threw some case studies, checked into him, talked to other people who had surgery by him. Even spoke to hospital staff and people in the field. They are the ones who really know whats going on. Well long story short the surgeon that i chose has really pioneered doing the TLIF minimally invasive. He actually invented many tools used. He takes a special approach making two small incisions on either side and has even perfected a way of grafting the bone from patients hip that leaves very little pain compared to the conventional method. I could go on and on about how good he is. My point is that i owe much of my fast recovery to him and the technique he uses.

Ask your doctor why he doesn't do the minimally invasive method. Many of them do not because they are not comfortable with it and if they cant get done what needs to be done then what good is minimally invasive in the first place?

If you feel comfortable with him and have done your research then im sure you will come out fine. If your gut tells you otherwise then you need to really think about other options. If that is the case send me a private message and i will be more then happy to give you some tips on how i did my research on finding the best surgeons out there that specialize in minimally invasive procedures.

Best of luck to you and i hope you are pain free soon. I will send some positive energy your way.