Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

3 Weeks Post Operation - Schwannoma Removal

ozone123456oozone123456 Posts: 4
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:57 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
Wells it's been 3 weeks since my surgery and I'm recovering well. I've had my post operative appointment with my Neuro Surgeon and he is happy with my progress.

Where to from here?? 3 monthly MRI's to find out if what was left in there is re-growing or not.

I think that my mind will be fully at ease once I find out what has been going on after my first 3 month review. I pray every night that my body is poweful and that it has consumed what ever is left.

There are times where I start to "flip out" a little but my mind is always put at ease when I'm reminded of my wonderful wife, son and family........

• Sent your way. Positive thinking can be a huge plus. As can a supportive family and it seems that you have both in good supply. I wish you all the best in your recovery.
  • I had an intradural-extramedullary schwannoma removed 18 years ago without any problems for about 15 years. About 3 years ago I presented with an occassional numbness of the sole of my left foot and some tightness in the left calf. It has become more frequent and has since started a bit in my right foot/calf as well. I do not have any weakness that I am aware of - I am an avid cyclist and this concerns me a great deal.

My MRI reads that I have scarring of the nerve roots shifting to the right of midline at the L1-3 level (where the tumor was)suggestive of adhesive arachnoiditis - and a dessicated disk at L4/5 along with a minor disk bulge (3mm). The orthopedic spine doctor does not believe I have arachnoiditis - I don't believe it either as I have no pain luckily. However - there is nothing on the current MRI that reveals a structural abnormality that would account for my symptoms.

Additionally - my symptoms become most pronounced when I get out of bed in the morning, somedays resolving during the day, others continuing or becoming more pronouced (usually after sitting for a time).

Has anyone had any experience with this ... I am so worried about progression and don't want this to turn into something that is written off as due to scar tissue when it hadn't been a problem for so many years.