Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

ACDF scheduled 12/5/11

thecatladytthecatlady Posts: 21
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:57 AM in New Member Introductions
I am very thankful that I have found this forum before my scheduled surgery. It has relieved a lot of the anxiety that I have. I also suffer from fibromyalgia, chronic pain and fatigue, plus PTSD from my service in the military during the Gulf War. My main question right now is whether or not the fibromyalgia causes recovery to be longer? I live alone with my 2 cats but am planning on having support for a few days once I return home. From reading all the posts here, I realize that only time will tell how fast or slow I will recover. Again, I want to thank everyone who unknowingly gave me emotional support and advice. I hope to hear from others on here just for emotional support throughout the time leading up to surgery and after. Thank you........the cat lady

• First let me say welcome to spine-health. Have a look around at more of the threads and as you have already discovered there are many here whom have gone through or facing the same thing as yourself.

AS far as what will slow your recovery, there is some truth in having other medical conditions could slow down your recovery, but then again maybe you will be one of the lucky ones whom wakes up from surgery and all you have to deal with is the post surgical pain. The pain that brought you to have surgery is gone.

What levels are you having done? Will you be using allograft or autograft? The number of levels along with wether your using autograft could effect your recovery some. Will you be wearing any type of brace post surgery and for how long?

You have found the right place for support along with gaining useful knowledge of what to expect. Be sure to check out the post-op surgery needs, in the surgery forum. The list is long and not all things will you need, but it will help you formulate what you will need post surgery.

Just thought I would stop by and welcome you to spine-health. If I can be of any further assistance don't hesitate to pm me. Take care and keep us posted.
  • As of right now I only know that they are fixing C5/6 and C6/7. Put in a call to the neurosurgeon's office this morning to find out about the collar situation. I am hoping that I will have one (just for security, if nothing else.) As for allograft or autograft I am not sure what that is, yet.

I totally love this site. Since I found it, I have been researching at least 2 hours every night. It is definitely a wealth of information. My neurosurgeon gave me a website to check out also, but I think this one is better.

Thanks for all your help.

the cat lady