Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

L5/S1 Fusion surgery next week!

turbo313tturbo313 Posts: 122
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:57 AM in Lower Back Pain
Can you tell I am excited! I am ready for this pain to take a hike and let me move on with my life.

I know I won't be running marathons or jumping on trampolines any time soon (not that i did before!) I just want to feel that bit of normalcy again.

They are going in from the front and the back. Surgery should take anywhere from 4-6 hours...2-3 days in the hospital and then off to the house I go. 2 months home then back to work.

I truly hope this resolves the pain issue so I can stop trying to explain to everyone why this keeps happening!

As this is my 3rd spinal surgery, I have some idea of what to expect. I have my walker and cane ready for operation. I am getting my brace next week and am prepping the house this weekend. I have wonderful friends who will be bringing us dinners for a while to help out and family to stop by when they can.

I'm not sure about PT or anything like that yet...my dr. hasn't mentioned what he will recommend yet. I just want to be able to walk again without wincing in pain...I have weight to lose, muscles to tone, and a smile to put back on my face :)

• I had L5/S1 fused in march. It was successful. I have had a 360 on one of my other fusions. I have had 3 total and am fused L1-S1.

Good luck. Keep us posted.

L4/L5 laminectomy, L4/L5 360 fusion with instrumentation, L1 to L5 fusion, L5/S1 fusion w/ disc replacement, left and right SI joints fused.
  • You do sound excited! That is great, I know that when you know that you have had enough of the pain and limited mobility, it can be exciting and hopeful to have surgery.

This is your first lumbar surgery? Glad to see that you have the equipment that you need and will have your home set up and ready for after. So nice that you will have people around to help you after with dinners and support.

Wishing you all the best. Do something special for yourself this week, you deserve it!After, it will take a lot of time and hard work, but then you will have that smile back on your face.

big supportive >:D<
    >:D< >:-D< : Karen
    L3-S1 herniation and bulges, stenosis, mod facet,ddd,impinged nerves,coccydinia
    discectomy/lami July 2011-unsuccessful
    adr L5-S1 Feb 2012
  • So..any words of wisdom?

We re-arranged the house this weekend so i can get around to every room with my walker. We moved things to lower levels that were high and everything else to my waist level.

I have my bag packed for my stay. I am just not sure what to truly expect when this is done.

anything I am missing that would be useful? i have a cane and a walker.

• Hey Connie,

The greatest tool is the grabber! Even years after my surgery I have a few scattered around the house. Nothing like not having the squat to pick something up. A shower stool, toilet booster are also good picks.

Best of luck!
  • There's a list of post op must haves but you may not need all and it will take you awhile to go through the list http://www.spine-health.com/forum/back-surgery-and-neck-surgery/post-op-must-haves-0

I hope you finally get some relief after this surgery and look forward to following your progress. Praying for a complete successful surgery and recovery. Charry
    DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN
  • Insurance denied the surgery stating insufficient medical history...and they did this yesterday at 3pm!

So, now I get to wait and have my Dr. appeal. Insurance companies suck...maybe if they walked a mile in our shoes they would be more understanding.

ugh...so now I get to wait...again.

• So sorry to hear that your surgery was cancelled...and at the last minute.

Hope that your doctor is able to appeal and fix the situation quickly so that you are able to get a new date soon. So frustrating I imagine.

Please keep us updated, hope you don't have to wait long.

>:D< Karen
    >:D< >:-D< : Karen
    L3-S1 herniation and bulges, stenosis, mod facet,ddd,impinged nerves,coccydinia
    discectomy/lami July 2011-unsuccessful
    adr L5-S1 Feb 2012
  • Sorry to hear your op was cancelled. Can only hope that those making administrative decisions can one day come to understand the implications they these decisions have on those of us in complex medical situations. All the best.

Laminectomy L4, followed by a Discectomy at L5 & finally and L4/5 L5/S1 fusion. - Fusion outcome pretty good but donor site a disaster - painful years later
This discussion has been closed.