Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Looking for some answers.

rpontiousrrpontious Posts: 2
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:57 AM in New Member Introductions
I am 28 years old. My diagnosis is severe spinal stenosis with a herniated disc at l3. I have had a double fusion of s1 to l5 and l5 to l4. I have been in chronic pain since. They have said that I have failed back surgery syndrome. I have done every test to see if something else could be causing my pain. I had emg's done. The emg's have come back with horrid results. I have weakness in the left being greater then the right. I have had numerous mri's done. I am taking more medications then I know what to do with.
I went to see the neurosurgeon 2 months ago. He tried steriod injections. I some how managed to get one the severe side effects from it. I am taking pain medication to some what control part of the pain. I went back today to see if there is anything else to they can do to help and I am going to have a second surgery with a fusion of l4 to l3.
I was hoping if I could get some advice for people who have gone through with 3 disc fusion. And also wondering how much range of motion that I will lose. Thanks :)

• hi and welcome to the forum! we are here to offer you support and answer what questions we can. i am sorry you are suffering through a failed surgery and facing another one! that is alot to go through.. please have a look at the "Back and Neck surgery" forum for more support on your upcoming surgery..stop by the forum anytime.. there is always someone around!!good luck on your future pain relief!! Jenny :)
  • SavageSavage United StatesPosts: 5,427
    Wow..you have a lot going on. So sorry for all that pain.

I have never had surgery and not an option for me.. so can't speak to that.
    But this site..the search..might take you to some previous posts on your situation and may be helpful to you.

Good luck to you! ..and please keep us posted with how you are doing.
    Take care!
    Spine-Health Moderator
    Please read my medical history at: Medical History

• It's rough you have failed back surgery. I hope this next surgery you have will help. I haven't had surgery but have chronic back pain. Post in the Surgery Forum and you will get more response. Welcome to Spine Health. Charry
    DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN
  • Welcome. This is a great site with many supportive people.

I have had 3 fusions and am fused L1-S1. My spine is very degenerated from an accident years ago. The 2nd fusion was to keep it from collapsing in on itself.

All of my fusions have been successful in that they eliminated the problem that was causing the pain, weakness, etc. However, like some people with multiple fusions the joint above or below gets stressed. When you have a weakened spine like mine it becomes a mess.

I how have SI joint dysfunction. Its come full circle as the SI joint was where it all started. I am working on pain control for that now. I have had cortisone injections many times, none working, but somehow the last 2 in the SI joint worked so we know it is for sure the SI and it gave me a couple of months of relief. But now I can have no more cortisone so we move on to the next step. I am trying to avoid another fusion.

As far as range of motion I really don't notice that much different from my first fusion which was L4-L5. It takes a long recovery to get back. I was very active and I know that helped. I was able to ride my bike after the first 2 fusions. L5 to S1 which i had in march has kept me off the bike but I think it is more the SI joint problems. You learn to squat down and move as your back allows. It took me 3 years of stretching to be able to get back on my time trial bike. Patience is key and keep working on your core and stretching.

When is your surgery scheduled??

L4/L5 laminectomy, L4/L5 360 fusion with instrumentation, L1 to L5 fusion, L5/S1 fusion w/ disc replacement, left and right SI joints fused.