Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Muscle Relaxers?

DonnabeDDonnabe Posts: 597
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:57 AM in Pain Medications
I need a muscle relaxer that actually works.......

Before my operation I was on Soma 350mg at night before bed. This helped a lot but only for a few months. After that It seemed to not work as well.

Post op I was on valium 5mg 2x a day... This helped a lot but docs don't seem to want to prescribe it for any longer than a few weeks.

After that I was on flexeril 10mg at night and that dried me out so bad I had a nose bleed so I stopped taking it.

After that (NOW) I was prescribed skelaxin 800mg 3x a day. I have been taking it for about 3 weeks. It seems to help maybe 20%

I need something else... something a lot stronger. The skelaxin is ok for when I have to work but when Im not working or when I am going to bed I need something a lot stronger. I really liked the valium because even if i only took it for example today... it seemed to even help into the next day.

I am going to tell my doctor the skelaxin is barely helping and I need something stronger. What other muscle relaxers are out there?
ACDF C4-5 June 23rd, 2011

Another surgery in the near future. I am 26 years old.

Current Meds- Norco 7.5/325, Cymbalta 60mg, Gabapentin, Adderall 20mg

• See my comment here. Don't feel like typing it twice.

You can find exercises for ANY tight muscles. My comments were aimed at mainly hamstring and calves but it applies to anything.
  • Thanks Z06. Unfortunately I do all those things and still have tight muscles and muscle spasms. I go to pt 2x a week and do exercises. I have a tens unit that I use regularly. I take magnesium daily and also use a magnesium oil rub. I regularly do my PT stretches.

• Donna, That kind of bites but still workable. Where specifically are you getting spasms? How often? Is it more spasms or cramping?

Continued use of muscle relaxers is considered a bad solution, but when all else fails, it helps I'm sure. I've had several different doctors/surgeons from different disciplines who all say no to long term use. I was given Skelaxin because it lets you function during the day without falling asleep. Tried Flexeril and even after just a sample bottle it was too much. My friend uses it now while his surgeon is troubleshooting his problem. Not for daily use though, only when he has an attack.

The thing that worked best for me post-op for spasms was Valium. Very low dose and the spasms would just stop and the muscles would stop cramping up. I was allowed Valium for a while since I took it "as needed". Daily for the first 2 weeks post-op then tapered off to seldom. I still have some left for a bad day. Haven't used it yet.

Still sounds like nerve problems and/or damage causing the muscles to fire. Especially if you have some constantly firing and the muscle is almost locked on a constant basis. I went through having my IT band almost locked for about 2 years. After the fusion I woke up and felt weird. Took me a few days to figure it out cause my back sure hurt like hell. ;-) Turned out it was my IT band was relaxed and I wasn't used to that. Felt strange.
  • I went to my doctor and I started neck physical therapy yesterday. She prescribed zanaflex at night. It works wonders however it gives me very vidid dreams and when I wake up they continue until I snap out of it... If that makes sence. I have only taken it 3x so hopefully that goes away because it helps the spasms enough for me to be able to sleep. I am still taking the skelaxin during the day.

I actually was doing very well for 2 months post op. I think I went back to work too early and it started up a lot of muscle spasms and pain.

The spasms are in the front of my neck, both shoulder blades but worse on the left, and both sides of my neck. Also mid back.

• and it helps the best of any I've tried. I also do stretching everyday and use magnesium oil which works wonders for relieving muscle tightness and cramping.
  • The zanaflex works well... I wouldn't want to/be able to take it at work or during the day. The only problem i have is sleep walking/night terrors while taking it. I get this about 2/4 times i take it. Not sure if I will be taking it much longer because of that. Always something! I am doing neck PT now too.

• Through the years I've taken almost every type and the 3 that work best IME are:

1-A toss up between Soma and Valium