Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Could this be a sign of reherniation?

tarin520ttarin520 Posts: 17
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:57 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
I had my microdiscectomy a month ago. The surgery seemed to have worked perfectly. I've had to do a lot of squatting due to having a 3 year old but otherwise have been cautious. Well, Monday I am out with my daughter and husband trick.or treating. She dropped her crown and not even thinking I bent down from the back to get it. Now my left lower back where they cut.the muscle is sore through the hip. My left leg is feeling slightly numb in the foot. Could I have reherniated or is it more likely I just aggravated it? I'm able to move around, get out of bed, etc. Just the occasional stiffness in the hip.

• most likely you have just annoyed things. I went thru the same thing after my first one. My Dr told me that you really would have to do something outrageous to mess it up. Normal things like that really shouldnt hurt it. I am not saying go back to normal life, you still need to be cautious but don't stress too much about it. Hope this helps!
  • The first 3 weeks are critical.
    Forgive me for being brutally honest, but I am sitting here shaking my head as I read your post. I think you are doing way too much, way too soon. I truly hope you didn't reherniate, but from what you describe, it is a real possibility.

Please protect the surgeon's work and protect your disc!
    On the sunny and mild Central Coast of California

L4-L5 endoscopic transforaminal microdiscectomy June, 2007
    L5-S1 endoscopic transforaminal microdiscectomy May, 2008
  • My thoughts are between Paul and Melias.
    First, you are doing a lot for only 4-6 weeks out. I was told the first 6 weeks is critical and then to be safe, be really cautious up to 3 months. From then, you still have to be careful but at least after that, your body is starting to get strong again. I do not agree that it would take a lot to re-herniate. It really is patient dependent.

Now, on the flip side, the bend probably aggravated things b/c it was unexpected and your muscles probably weren't ready for it. Did you try ibuprofin or icing and rest? I would do this but if you have concerns, talk to your doctor.

Just for the record, I 're-herniated' within 2 weeks but they said it was nothing I did. It happens. Now, that being said...I think the other piece came free when they flipped me back over on the table b/c I never got relief.

I would recommend taking it easy, going back to basics and if you are worried, call your doctor.

I'm glad to hear aside from this recent incident that things seem to be going very well.
  • I want to thank you all for your feedback. I do want to stress the last thing I would possibly want to is damage my back again. I had assistance the first two weeks post op. Being a Stay at Home Mom - I do not have family around to assist me and a 3 year old who is not in school. I have done my best not to lift or twist. I squat to help her use the bathroom, but otherwise try not to squat. I do not run errands, I do not go out socially. I have spent the past 5 weeks mostly inside trying to protect my back, so of course this incident on Halloween has me a nervous wreck. The pain I'm feeling is more of a dull ache at this point on the left side. I do have some numbness in the foot, but I dont know if that is me focusing on that when subconsciously it could have been there anyway. I do have a slight ache in my calf, but was also trying to exercise my lower back by doing toe lifts. I have my 2nd post op on Friday and will be voicing my concerns. Thanks again to everyone who answered.