Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Nerve Pain Medication Advice

Tracy_LynnTTracy_Lynn Posts: 10
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:57 AM in Chronic Pain
I hope someone can help me because I really have no idea what to do next.
I am currently taking Oxycontin 40mg twice a day along with 2 percocet every 6 hours and Advil and I am still suffering nerve pain - I have tried Lyrica, Nortriptyline & Tramadol and nothing seems to help.
I am seeing my Pain Dcotor on Tuesday and I was hoping to get some advice on medication for nerve pain - is there anything anyone has tried that works for them?

I have been suffering sciatic pain since June 2007 - I had a L5/S1 Micro-Disectomy in January 2008 and did not get any relief, after 6 months and a new MRI that showed that the disc had re-herniated and was still pushing on the nerve I was schaeduled for a spinal fusion which I had done in January 2009 - after this surgery the Doctor told me that it would take some time for the nerve to heal because it had been pinched for so long and it was badly damaged. Fast forward one year later still suffering sciatic pain along with more numbness the surgeon orders another MRI and tells me that I have a build up of scar tissue and there is nothing "surgically" he can do for me. I was devastated and decided to seek another opinion. Being from Canada where it takes up to 2 years to see a surgeon I decided to go to a surgeon in Buffalo who after reviewing my MRI and CT Scans said that he felt the hardware in my back was too large and that along with scar tissue was pressuring the nerve. I considered surgery to have the hardware removed but his price went from what would cost me appox. $15,000.00 to $50,000.00 for a procedure that may or may not work. I did not proceed with that doctor.
After that I was sent to a pain clinic where I have been having nerve block injections weekly and I also have tried some epidural injections around the hardware - nothing works.

• so sorry for the pain you are going through. i have tried a few medications for nerve pain with mixed results. neurontin didn't work for me. topomax caused me visual issues. cymbalta helped for the nerve pain but gave me too many side effects and my withdrawal was the worlds worst. i am currently on lamictal and that is working well for the nerve pain. it took 4 yrs from the surgery ( c4-7 fusion with hardware and autobone graft) to say it is finally a bearable pain and i can do more than i have in so long. i am off narcotics mostly unless i do something out of my realm lilke push a vacuum or anything with the upperbody. i hope you get some relief for your pain. what chances did the us doc give you for improvement?
  • Thanks for the info - the Dr. in Buffalo did not give me any numbers -the problem we had was that he originally said that the surgery would cost around $2000.00 plus hospital and anesthesia - when I was trying to get a price from the hospital they said they needed more information from the Doctor - I called the Doctor and his assistant said he had made a mistake and that I actually needed 9 different procedures and that it would be $20,000.00 just for the surgeon.
    I will see my pain doctor tomoorow and hopefully we can figure something out.
  • Hi Tracy, one other med is gabapentin. I was on it along with cymbalta, and it worked great, however the side effects were too great for me, so ended up lowering the cymbalta, going off the gabapentin and going on topomax instead, with the lesser amount of cymbalta. So far, that mix has been pretty good, with less side effects. Good luck with everything!
    APROUD CANADIANveteranButNOTa doctor, my thoughts are my own
  • i had the medtronic pump installed i guess in 1999
    the operation is a cake walk if you have had fusions. the new rules in ref to hardware is to leave it in. take it out scar tissue will double and shall have scar tissue rubbing on the nerves. i know because i removed mine.
    medtronic pumps, installation the doc will run a cather and place a tiny tube into your epedurial
    the medication is 100,000 times stronger and you use less. by placing morphine & baclofin works well. you refill the pump every 90 days can go longer dut my doc says after 90 days the medication can lose some of it sbility to stop the pain.
    you will never be pain free. but it is like a shoch exorber the medication works great. you will have to find a doc who manages the pump for fill up. i changed to a company called pentec health tel # 1-800-223-2252. they do refills at your home.
    i sugest you give this # to your doc and let him decide if wants you come to his office. but this is great i just got into pentec 1 yr ago really great
    ask you doctor about the pain pumps

This discussion has been closed.