Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Eyes Wide Open after 1st Epidural

Mojo20MMojo20 Posts: 22
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:57 AM in Spinal Injections
I had my 1st Cervical ESI last week and since then I have not slept more than 4 hours each night. Has anyone else experienced this? I slept better before I had the epidural..and the thing about it is I'm not really tired during the day its like I'm WIDE awake..LOL! 20 years ago this could have been fun but at 45 I really like my sleep...Please let me know of any similar experiences.

thank you!

• I haven't experienced wide awake after an ESI but have had some trouble sleeping and I never sleep without a sleeping pill. Maybe see your Dr. about that you need to get sleep every night or day whenever you can get it. I hope you get some relief from the ESI also. I also wonder if chronic pain just wears us down so we want to sleep but if you're getting relief maybe you're feeling more alert? Maybe the steroids may be keeping you up? Charry
    DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN
  • This is definitely a side effect from the cortisone. In fact it is called Cortisone Insomnia...:( I have slept a total of 18 hours since my epidural (6 days)! My poor DH is sleepless too from me being awake all the time. I have a call into my primary and the dr that did the esi. I take xanax and muscle relaxer each night before bed and i fall asleep within 20-30 min. I used to sleep throughout the night or wake up and fall back asleep. The epidural def helped with the pain as I'm feeling some relief but not a good trade-off. I wont ever do this again unfortunately.