Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

canada phases out oxy-contin

babyruthbbabyruth Posts: 260
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:57 AM in Pain Medications
i was just reading an article this morning that said the makers of oxy-contin has just sent canadian pharmacies a notice that it is phasing out the drug. in its place will be oxy-NEO. the company says that NEO has properties that does not allow the drug to be broken down and injected for a heroin like high that drug abusers get out of crushing, liquifying and injecting the drug. apparently it is hard to crush this drug and if liquid is added to it, it will turn into a gel.

i personally think this is a brilliant move towards keeping us chronic pain people medicated and safe and dissuade drug abusers from abusing the drug, and for a lot of people preventing them from overdosing and dying. what do you guys think?

• I think that that is a great idea! Anything that will help make it better for chronic pain patients to be able to get their medication without problems that are caused by people who use the meds for other purposes (ie getting high)

I wonder if there will be any difference in it, in terms of pain relief. If people that are already on oxycontin will continue to get the same benefits.

Thanks for the info!

>:D< Karen
    >:D< >:-D< : Karen
    L3-S1 herniation and bulges, stenosis, mod facet,ddd,impinged nerves,coccydinia
    discectomy/lami July 2011-unsuccessful
    adr L5-S1 Feb 2012
  • Since whatever the USA does we follow right after them. I have heard some complaints about the new Oxycontin doesn't work as well and can cause stomach issues. But for some they found it just as effective or more so. If I have any problems I guess I will have to switch back to MS Contin.

I wonder if the new OxyNeo will cost more? Thanks for the info Babyruth I hadn't heard the news. Charry
    DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN