Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Am I missing something?

broken-wingbbroken-wing Posts: 4
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:57 AM in Neck Pain: Cervical
I have been doing some reading on this website and I hope I am not making a redundant post.

I believe I have a herniated disc(s) in my neck but as of yet I have not seen a doctor. I have tried to go to a local free clinic but they say they have no funding to do MRI's.

I went to the local Health department and they have a medical plan for poor people. If you make $908 or less per month, you are eligible. I make $992 per month. No help there.

In short, I have not seen a doctor and I have started contacting my elected representatives.

The emergency room is an option, but there is no guarantee they would give me an MRI.

But that is not my question.
I have had pain in my right arm along with tingly feelings and numbness in my fingers. This has been going on for 10 weeks. I injured it either sleeping and/or doing pushups and possibly jerking my head up while doing them.

The pain is not excruciating. But it is there. I have stopped doing my exercise of choice, which is bicycling. I have started walking a lot.

The pain seems like it is very very slowly subsiding. But somedays I feel like it is never going to get better. I am wondering if there is something in my activities that is preventing me from getting better.

Should I be taking NSAIDS everyday? I hate meds and I read that NSAIDS are not as good for nerve pain as they are for muscular pain and such. I work overnite, and I am afraid the meds will make me fall asleep.

I keep a computer at work in a backpack. When I go into work, I reach up above my head to grab the computer stuff five nights a week, and when I put it back I have to reach above my head to put the computer back where I got it. Is this act of reaching up and grabbing this computer keeping me from healing?

When I drive to work and use the stick shift, my fingers and lower arm start tingling. Should I be avoiding activities that make my arm tingle? If the answer is yes, that would mean I couldn't drive to work, tie my shoes, brush my teeth, or lift my arm above my waist.

I am doing mckenzie exerices for my neck which i learned about in a book.

I bought a tempur-pedic cervical pillow.

I am using heat therapy like maybe a half dozen times a day.

I stretch as often as I can.

I bounce gently on a rubber therapy ball once or twice a day to stimulate blood flow to the discs.

I can't afford massages, chiropracters, or any kind of formal doctoring.

Am I ever going to get better?
Am I missing something that I should be doing.