Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement
advertisement
Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

What other tests should I ask for?

mhminnmmhminn Posts: 5
edited 06/11/2012 - 7:57 AM in Spinal Stenosis
Im new here and just trying to get some advice, the Neurologist that I seen A year ago was not very helpful, I'm going to make appt. with a different Neurologist and some advice on what to ask and other tests I should ask for would be helpful.
Sorry if this gets long. I originally went to regular doc August 2010 because i had suddenly developed numbness from chest down to toes on right side and was in my face for just a day or two and had a little trouble walking down stairs with left leg (it felt weird like I was stepping on a cloud). And at the same time had an awful pinching pain by left shoulder blade which went down back of arm and a very stiff neck(which had been happening for quite a while off and on before the numbness happened). Her first thought was to rule out MS so did Brain MRI with everything normal (thank goodness). She prescribed muscle relaxers and had me wait 30 days and see what happend. Everything still same after waiting. She then sent me to Neurologist who did neuro exam, by this time (October)the numbness on right side was getting better but not 100% and he said I passed it and just told me we may never know why I was numb on right side sometimes it just happens. Hmm. He asked if I had any other questions and I was like YA my neck and shoulder blade pain isnt there for no reason. He said well we can do an MRI but I don't think we will find anything. Well turns out it did find: Disk space narrowing at the C5-6 level with a large left paramedian disk herniation resulting in significant spinal stenosis centrally and in the left lateral spinal canal. Anyways I've seen him once since then, don't care for his demeanor with me and he just wasn't very helpful. Does anyone know if there are other tests or should I ask for another MRI onwhole spine? I am 40 years old, I've developed alot more pain in my legs don't know if its related or not. I clean houses for a living(self-employed) can't afford to miss to much work and little by little its getting harder to ignore and just live with all the weird pains thruout my body. I've searched out alot of infor on this condition, which has been helpful, but when I go to new Doc It would help me If I knew more of the right things to ask. Any help is great. Sorry so long.

M.H.
advertisement

Comments

• First let me say welcome to spine-health. Have a look around and you will find others whom have had a rough go finding out what is wrong with them. But we do all understand pain.

Depending on the insurance you have, as you might need a referral. If I was in your position I would seek out a orthopedic or neurosurgeon whom only deals with issues of the spine. I am not saying you do or don't need spine surgery, but they can put you on the right path, with treatment. When you went back following the MRI, what treatment did he recommend? In most cases they will utilize conservative treatment which can involve injections, physical therapy, medications, traction, yoga, rest, heat and or ice, along with others.

Is the numbness and pain your talking about on the left side? I don't think you need a whole spine MRI, but then I am not a doctor. I think they need to work with the MRI, they have. When there are issues in the neck they can do what is called radiate(radicular pain) out, meaning it will causes pain in other places of the body. Take a look at a dermatone map and follow the C5-C6 pattern and see if that matches the issues you are having in your arms. Sometimes given the severity of the issues there is a condition called myelopathy, which can effect the legs and further down. Typically though the neck will effect the shoulders, arms and hands while the lumbar(back), will effect the legs. But a doctor would need to diagnose those issues. I know some of the issues your describing is what I felt when my neck was injured, and it can't get very uncomfortable is putting it lightly.

The one thing about seeing a doctor is if your not a good fit for that doctor, there are more doctors out there. But also keep in mind, you need to build a relationship with the doctor. But your best bet would be to see the ortho or the NS, in my opinion.

Just thought I would stop by and welcome you to spine-health. If I can be of any help please don't hesitate to pm me. Take care.
  • Hi and thank you so much for the reply :)
    When I went for the follow up appt. he didn't suggest any other treatments other than I can keep taking the muscle relaxers as needed because it was helping somewhat with the pain in my left shoulder arm and neck. But I can't really function very well when I'm taking them to much so I usually would hold off until I absolutely need them to get a decent night sleep. It's almost like he didn't believe what I was feeling. Oh well I'm moving on from him. It seems that things have gotten worse since I seen him last thats why im going to see different doc. I will take your advice and see a neurosurgeon. As for the pain most of it is in my left side. But the numbness was on the right side of my body. When Im sitting sometimes it feels like there is something pulling in my left leg. I have pain in my left side chest which I have seen reg doc for and can't figure out what it is from. At night my hands like go to sleep and the only thing that releives them is to sit up and shake them out. occasionaly get pins and needles feelings thru my middle and ring fingers doesn't usually last long though and have felt them in my toes. I will search out the dermatone map(not sure what that is) Thanks for the help. :)